Thanks gsmarena for this top notch review.I was about to buy this phone in as I stay in India. But fortunately you im saved from buying this phone. though this phone looks really awesome, my main concern was the camera performance and battery backup that this phone lacks. Though plastic body, my s4 still rocks in these departments. And yeah, though Z1 is waterproof, we will never get warranty if phone is damaged due to water, I do have the experience with Z that I owned once and water nicely went inside while talking on the rain and Sony service center in Mumbai didn't cover up an warranty... I hate the plastic body of my S4 but I don't use a smartphone for more than a year and so its not a big deal for me as technology enhances with every flagship out there in the market every after 4,5 months.
really am nt satisfied with z1 camera
whats wrong with xperia cameras
The big selling point of the Z1 was the camera.
The photo samples here are TERRIBLE!
There is a lot weird pixelation happening and the images aren't that sharp. The non final note 3 camera is all over the Z1.
Surely there is a problem with gsmarenas phone or the camera software needs a lot of work?
Low light samples would be nice GSMa.
Z1 needs OIS, and sound quality sucks "The stereo crosstalk rises significantly" because there should not be any rise in stereo crosstalk at all when using headphones!
Z1 is simply to big for my pocket.I would like something smaller 4,3 display with snapdragon 600, memory card slot and BIG battery.
First, thanks GSM arena for the professionalism of your reviews.
Second, I would like to add if I may a comment and a wish:
1) I don't believe that the lack of a user-replaceable battery does count as a disadvantage nowadays, especially with all the very compact and cheap back-up batteries in the market.
2) I wish Sony would try a windowsphone-running phone. There is no harm in it as they need not design new hardware for the software. They are as good if not better than Nokia in hardware and they have a very solid partnership with Microsoft in desktops and laptops... And many of us WP users do not get many quality choices such as android users do.
Anyway, Sony did an amazing job disassociating with Ericsson in hardware and I'm happy for the android users getting such quality options as Sony phones.
"at 1/2.3" it's 70% bigger than 1/3" sensors found in most phones, which should make a big difference in terms of noise performance and dynamic range."
No, because the pixel size is 1.2 microns. That is small.
Triluminous display sorts out the contrast issue problem found with bravia tech! Camera is a bit of a gimmick as 13mp cam on xperia Z and T is just fine! Very disappointed with low speaker volume - AGAIN! My xperia T will be last sony I have because im sick of old software, low speaker volume and lack of accessories! Samsung may not be the prettiest phones but they provide lots of phone cases which solves this issue! Also theyre more reliable and have good update support for their flagships! Ive had enough of Sony!
ILOVEXPERIA, 19 Sep 2013Triluminos display - The display is a crap piece of LCD, Triluminos is a software inside to bo... moretotally agree, I want new phone and waited for z1 to come out but its just modest at most and very expensive. And they are wrong in the review, at least in UK I saw the cheapest Z1 16gb for 510 pounds while G2 32Gb is 485 pounds the cheapest.
Few things I can't stand after reading your review!
1) Smartconnect easily handles all NFC tags! They just need to be programmed as Sony tags and for that you can find app on google play. After that with smartconnect you can change almost every possible option with one TAG.
2) True, you can't get from chrome to floating browser but it is possible the other way around and that is even more convenient.
3) You didn't mention that sony finally supports aptX bluetooth codec.
4) Why can't you understand that the whole idea of 'huge' top and bottom bezels improve the landscape handling. Just like on nexus 7 2013.
5) why you didn't mention that the notification light can be seen on the back of the device? yes, it shines both sides - the front and the back.
and the most important thing - BATTERY TEST
I know that you've probably done the test as you always do but you should ask Sony for another model to redo the test.
With 30% higher battery it can't have 10% higher score. Telephone test proves that the CPU is very efficient so there has to be some problem, besides there are many reviews saying that the battery life is much improved when compared to Xperia Z. So please, try and contact sony to get another sample. Maybe this one won't have decentered lens, which happens even in expensive lenses.
Triluminos display - The display is a crap piece of LCD, Triluminos is a software inside to boost colors,just like their previous bravia engines. If you unlock the bootlock, its gone, - Fail
No gorilla glass - Fail
Lousy image at even at 20mp - Fail
Lousy battery life even though using high capacity batt - Fail
Big bezels making the phone ugly = Fail
All other new phones have snapdragon 800,the speed is all the same, nothing special about about it.