To settle the debate; I have used all the phones between C7 Pro, C9 pro, A8+ and A9 PRO.
1) Battery wise A9 PRO is still king. C9 pro C7 Pro and A8+ are in the same ballpark.
2) display wise it's a toss up. C9 pro, A9 Pro and A8+ tie.
3) Audio wise (with headphones) the C9 Pro smacks everyone else left right and centre. It has a dedicated audio DSP and DAC with amp from Cirrus Logic. Difference is audible. A8+ is second here since it can do the DSP work but it doesn't have the Cirrus Logic chip.
4) camera wise. A8+ has bokeh and live focus in front cam, C9 pro has slightly better sensor (1.12 um vs 1.0 um). Rear camera between both devices is 99% the same. Differences are not worth talking about.
Rear camera of A9 Pro is worse in daylight due to poor dynamic range but a bit better in low light due to OIS. A9 PRO front camera is not good at all.
C7 Pro cameras are also 99% same as C9 Pro.
5) A8+ has 3CA support, Bixby and Samsung pay full. C9 Pro has stereo speakers, hi fi DSP and Samsung Pay mini with 2CA support.
6) Exynos 7885 performance is slightly worse than SD653, around the level of SD652.
7) though it's natural to assume A8+ will be supported more, the C7 Pro and C9 Pro sold very well and the last units were manufactured in march/April 2018. So these devices have had a production run of more than one year and that only happens when the product is still fresh in Samsung marketing. Also there is no successor for these products, so it's likely they will get extended support.
OTOH A9 pro was a commercial sales failure forcing Samsung to do price drops to sell off the stock. Right now A8+ is getting cashback schemes in India to make price equal to c9 pro. This itself indicates A8+ is not a great hit either.
Currently Samsung is still running offers on S series, A8 2018 and C7 Pro/C9 pro only. This means Samsung considers all of these premium devices.
8) After seeing the differences are so minor between C9 Pro and A8+ I think its a matter of personal preference. If Bixby and Samsung Pay is more important than stereo speakers and hi fi DAC, go for A8+. ELSE C9 Pro.
9) i am disappointed in Samsung for releasing a product not really better than C9 Pro but I understand A and C series are not directly comparable and A8+ is meant to be an upgrade for users of A7, A8 (2016) and not C series....
10) what everyone should understand is that A series is a stripped down S series while C series is a beefed up J series....So A series tends to classy trendy crowd while C series is for middle class workhorse.....Samsung is releasing products accordingly...
Personally I bought C9 Pro over A8+ because for me audio is more important than Bixby.
S . SUDHAKAR, 04 May 2018Better to buy A9 pro 2016 which has OIS instead of the crap A8+.Yeah OIS. But you're losing out on everything else.
Or one could get the OnePlus 5T which is better than both of those phones.
AJ, 04 May 2018Hello. Using A8+ for couple of weeks now but since last few days noted a problem that Charging... morePurchase 'galaxy charging current pro' app and install it. Then see the mA at which your phone is getting charged.
Hello. Using A8+ for couple of weeks now but since last few days noted a problem that Charging is normal till 80% but slows down massively after that and takes ages to get to even 90... Has anyone else faced the same problem or it is with me only?? What is the problem can anyone help please???
AnonD-587010, 04 May 2018Does it worth upgrade from an S6 edge plus?A9 pro 2016 is the ojly upgrade. Not A8+
Better to buy A9 pro 2016 which has OIS instead of the crap A8+.
Anonymous, 27 Apr 2018I think they update the older model(s) first, before catching up to the latest A series. Turn of Always On Display
Samsung A8+ 2018 and comes with 7.1.1 LMAO ! What a joke Sammy is becoming .
Lewis , 30 Apr 2018A7/A5 2017 aren't low phones as u said, they work just like A8+, u better check the quality 1st !!A7(7) and A5(7) are Obviously lower than A8+.
F, 28 Apr 2018Hello, I am between huawei mate 9 or Samsung galaxy a8+? Which one is better? Good camera is ... moreI have both the Mate 9 and the Galaxy A8+. The Mate 9 is totally a much better phone than the A8+. Specs, camera, speed, everything except the ip68 which is completely lacking in the Mate 9 and the amoled screen. The only reason I'm currently using the A8+ is the fact that my Mate's screen is cracked. I'm still gonna repair my beloved Mate 9 :-)
MOHAMMAD KAISER ALAM, 26 Apr 2018Good phone, good performance. But not good in update policy. A7 20017, A3 2017 and many other ... moreA7/A5 2017 aren't low phones as u said, they work just like A8+, u better check the quality 1st !!
Anybody here upgrade from a7 2017 ? If so hows the jump been ? battery life camera performance and overall usage...?
F, 28 Apr 2018Hello, I am between huawei mate 9 or Samsung galaxy a8+? Which one is better? Good camera is ... moreThe only thing in A8+ camera which is better than the Mate 9 is that it has 16 MP main and great night camera, others: LEICA, 2x optical zoom dual camera, 20 MP 2nd rear camera, laser AF, dual LD dual tone flash on Mate 9. So if you don't need a great night camera, go for Mate 9 because in MP it is almost not different.