I have been using the note for about 10 days now. I checked this phone out multiple times at the Samsung Smartphone Cafe, but was not able to make up my mind because of 2 things: The display wasn't exactly mindblowing in the well-lit showroom, and because the demo was extremely laggy. I was using an Xperia Mini before this, and I can still clearly see that SE's user interface is far-far smoother than Samsung's TouchWiz. However, the Note I bought (my decision was fueled by the need of a bigger screen) was noticibly zippier and smoother than the demo unit (Maybe this haad something to do with the 2.3.6 that came pre-installed). Anyway, here are my impressions of the device:
1) Design and build: The design is standard Samsung. Looks like every other phone they have designed. I got the white version. The white one looks gorgeous, just as good, if not better than the black one. The only problem is that the back cover is a high gloss one, so it will get scratched up in no time (the black one has a textured back). But if you use a case, or a cover (I'm currently using Samsung's flip cover, with the black back) its not a problem. But the main advantage of the white one, which no one seems to mention is the sides. The black one has shiny dark metallic sides- they look good, but the one on the demo piece was badly scratched up. The white one however has matte aluminum sides, so no fear of scratches of any kind!! It also looks good in a classy kind of way.
The build is actually very good, no squeaks of any kind, and the S-pen holder is firm. But the back cover opening mechanism is a very cheap and fragile one. Seems like its going to break any moment. Apart from this, no gripes with build.
Holding the phone with one hand is not a problem for me. To some extent, even one handed use is possible (My hands are not that big). It fits into any jeans pocket with ease, and it DOES NOT look stupid when using it as a phone. So handling is actually nice. Also the little problems are worth the massive screen
2) The display: The super Amoled looks nice in a nicely lit showroom. But bring it in a normal or dimly lit room, and you will see its magic: The colours pop out of the screen and although they seem little unrealistic at first, after a while, you won't want anything else. The clarity is stunning, movies appear great, and browsing is a breeze.
But the display has one very big problem- banding. This may be due to the display being a 24bit one, and Android itself supporting mainly 16bit ones, but still, banding is very prominent in the display. Every time a web page loads up, the first few seconds show a grey coloured loading screen, banding is very clearly seen there. Even in most apps, banding is prominent (try the Exodus live wallpaper-theme=chaos. You will find concentric circles in the grey background). However on some apps, there is a force 24bit option, which significantly reduce banding. So, I do not know whether it is the display or the software, but I do know that it is visible in many places, but its certainly not unbearable.
Apart from this, the display is top-notch
3)UI: Some parts of touchwiz actually beats all its competitors-the notification panel with all those shortcuts. Even the widget selector at the bottom looks cool, but none of this can make up for the fact that many actions are sluggish on a phone which can score 3900 on quadrant. This 1.4 dual core proccy should be able to run android fluently, however for some reason, TouchWiz lags in many places-jittery scrolling in lists (such as in settings or in contacts), the Sense-type leap, while changing the sizes of widgets. Worst of all, other launchers such as ADW and GoLauncher and Launcher Pro, lag just as much, sometimes even more. I do not know why this is so, it may just be a compatibility issue, but it is something which app developers should fix, with the barrage of HD cellphone displays imminent in the very near future.
4) Apps and Games: HD games like Asphalt 6, or Trail Xtreme 2, or Shine runner run very well- no lags there, but simple games like Ninjump, and Fruit ninja seem extremely pixellated and blurry. Angry birds seems fine, although it could use some better backgrounds. But this phone runs HD games amazingly well.
The stock browser runs buttery smooth, but the same cannot be said for Opera or Dolphin browsers. However, the lack of auto-text refilling in the stock browser is a bit of an annoyance, but the fact that you will hardly have to zoom in to read webpages makes it mostly irrelevant.
5)Videos: The stock player can handle most types of videos, however seems to have the most problems with mkv files. Dice player from the market runs well on this device and plays all types of videos with ease. This phone is the best phone there is for video playback.
6)Battery: This is a huge problem in this phone. With little usage (like that's gonna happen), this phone can easily last 2 days, however with HD games, movies, music, etc, you will probably end up charging this twice a day. Keeping movies and music to a minimum, with moderate internet usage and gaming this phone can last a day. With some apps, the battery drain is massive, and the phone tends to overheat. Also, the phone also heats up while charging, although its not much of an annoyance.
To conclude, this phone is an amazing phone, notwithstanding a few major problems. If you can live with the jittery feel, and banding issues, then this phone will keep you warm at night. If you can't live with it, then check it out in person-chances are you will learn to live with it, and you will accept it wholeheartedly.
jack , 19 Feb 2012Any good hearted people around pls help.how would i stop continous internet charges i am a pre... moreThere are 2 ways to control internet usage: Hold down the power button. One of the options would be 'Data Network mode'. You can activate it to switch on internet, or deactivate it to stop internet usage. Alternatively, you could go to settings-->wireless and network-->mobile networks-->Use packet data. Switching this off would stop any internet access from you device. You could also download a widget from the market like Data Switch to do the same.
For noise cancellation, while you are connected to the other person, press the menu key, and you will find the option to switch on/off noise cancellation.
I bought Samsung G-7000. I like it so much because of big screen,Capacity,Note,...but i have faced some problem and wanna Samsung such as :
1. Push Mail : push only inbox but sub-folder wit rule setting cannot push unless i look into that folder to browser/refresh get mail.
2.Screen Rotation: seem slow if we compare with I-phone or Samsung Product itself such Galaxy S2..
3.My Folder Browsing : very slow for the first browsing.
Jin Kazama, 18 Feb 2012how is the ringing volume/loudness of galaxy note, is it loud enough to be heard in another room.yes of course buy some bose speakers and u can hear them in pool*
*forgot to mention that u need some wireless mic ;)
ALI, 19 Feb 2012y u had invested xxxxx amount on noteCause No one want to listen ..samsung says its normal and wahran co. which i bought the note from in kuwait says the same thing and no service no replacement it was anightmare . I know ilost alot of money but finally no more headache.
AnonD-31012, 18 Feb 2012Hi guys..Plz suggest..Note or Sensation XE???My friend its Like comparing Renault Clio vs Mercedes-Benz S600 of course Note is the best , Much much powerfull ,screen with hi resollution and bettery battery
WASTE OF TIME, 17 Feb 2012I'm using landline y u had invested xxxxx amount on note
jack , 19 Feb 2012Any good hearted people around pls help.how would i stop continous internet charges i am a pre... moreJack,
If you do not want to go on the internet with your phone do this: press the side button as if you were to turn the phone off. On the pop up screen you should have an option that says: Data Network Mod. If underneath it says ‘Activated’ then all you have to do is tap it and it should change to ‘Deactivated’. From now on it will not connect to internet.
Never needed noise reduction, so can’t answer that.
Aaron p.s, 19 Feb 2012when will Galaxy Note 2 appear for the market with more advanced specs? Come on Samsung if u r... moredear fanboy samsung is already ahead of apple and nd nokia is not even in top 5 of top selling smartphones in the world currently, survey says this
AnonD-29788, 19 Feb 2012Just got a maintenance update of around 79 MB. Size of keyboard reduced.pls tell the changes in the update ...has battery performance improved....???
is the dial pad also been give right and left orientation???
jack , 19 Feb 2012Any good hearted people around pls help.how would i stop continous internet charges i am a pre... morepress screen lock but for few second and disable data network mode..deactivate it
when will Galaxy Note 2 appear for the market with more advanced specs? Come on Samsung if u really want to surpass Nokia and even defeat Apple... M eagerly waiting to be one of ur million fanboys to make things happen...
AnonD-29788, 19 Feb 2012Just got a maintenance update of around 79 MB. Size of keyboard reduced.true. Even I could spot it
Ok to be pretty honest, the phone is a legend in itself. After buying you wont repent upon it. Easy customizations and super clear display adds to the charisma of the phone. Everybody knows the good things about the phone. Here are some of the "my personal view" bugs I think:
1. The stylus draws at a slight offset from the point of touch.
2. I read in certain blogs that during unpacking they also have wallmounted charger or rather the stand charger which is pretty good looking in ebay (Available for around 790 bucks). Unfortunately in my box I could not find any such. Also, the charger which samsung provides, the same is not available in ebay. Its a micro USB sync as well as charger. I dont find any of its kind in the most of the online stores.
3. The USB HDMI Cable needs to be bought. So is the case with the Pendrive Plugging USB Host adapter.
4. .ppsx doesn't work initially with PolarisOffice. You can definitely tweak it later ;)
5. My fav game 'doodle jump' doesn't run in full screen :/
Apart from these, I personally have become a fan of the operation. Now if you ask whats the difference in S2 and Note here are some which I spotted:
- the note has better clarity in screen and ofcourse the size is better.
- the styles adds style and fills up the flaws of the S2. Like say, if you want to type, apart from QWERTY there is better and bigger screen space provided where you can write using stylus and it shall be converted to text by character recognition.
- If you root it, you can add much more capable widgets as compared to s2.*again bigger screen does the job.
- Wonderful stress free reading (Almost all formats)
- Easy downloads of apps and if you dad is rich, you can erode the An. Market ;)
SO thats what I gotta say.
*This is just my own's review.
i cant find any drop test results online for note like there is a drop test for s2 vs iphone4s where 4s comes out to be a dud
blue robin, 18 Feb 2012is it true that u can only print from ur galaxy note to wifi printer using samsung's printer ... moreYou can use google cloud print to print. There are also some other apps that you can use like printer share