No Matter, 29 Feb 2016There is my thoughts on this phone after a few months:
Generally phone is all right, pretty... more1. You may use WPS Office to open Excel files - it is much faster than Microsoft Excel.
2. The Galaxy S5 Neo camera may focus at around 4 cm. You may also try other camera apps which offer more manual controls like A Better Camera, Camera FV-5 (there is however no support for full manual shutter control, it is available only for small list of phone cameras). For avoiding blurry photos at slow shutter speed you may use a small universal tripod like GripTight Gorillapod Stand.
However using a telephone like a /video/camera is never a good idea, it is much better to have with you a small (Sony) camcorder with 10X optical zoom and 14X optical stabilization - you will forget for video handshaking and blurry photos. You may get with you more professional mini camera with several lenses.
3. If you haven't took off the plastic sticky patch on the camera lens, please remove it and you will see the difference.
4. The Galaxy S5 Neo is rumored to receive Android 6.0 Marshmallow sooner or later. Not sure if this update will bring any meaningful features.
I am looking for a new phone for a long time now. And I came across two phones that I liked the a5 2016 and the galaxy s5 neo (or new edition). I looked the specs of this two phones and they have the same chipset, ram, screen. Basically the difference between than is the camera a5 13mp s5 16mp, both have f1.9. And the s5 neo is 64 bits as the a5 isn't. And the benchmark scores off both are basically the same difference maybe of 1 or 2 %. I was wondering with one should I chose as I can find both for the same price right now in my country.
There is my thoughts on this phone after a few months:
Generally phone is all right, pretty good value for the money, but... processor is quite slow. And something tell me that octa-core 1.6 Ghz processor could do much more than it does. It feels somehow restricted, slowed down. Opening even light exel file or simple game like "plants vs zombies vol 1" takes ages.
Picture quality is very good I should say, but.. Camera chooses very slow shutter speeds. It causes many many many f**ked up pictures. You have to stand still breathless when taking pictures. It is weird really, coz it has a bright lens with 1.9 aperture and an average sensor size. Anyway, in this matter, save a bit more Â€ and get A5 (2016) which has an OIS.
And it doesn't do macro. Closest you can get to the object to get it in focus is 20-30 cm. But this is not macro at all.
Other toys like waterprofness, finger scanners and other toys I dont need so I don't care.
So if you want a phone which is slow, doesn't have a gorrila glass, has no OIS, will not have any support (marshmellow or whatever) in the future buy this crap. Otherwise save a bit more money and get A5 or anything else but samsung.
Anonymous, 26 Feb 2016Most things of what you said are right but....shutter speed goes down to 1/17 and this is veri... moreIn case you need stable work at 1/17 sec shutter speed or less, then you may use any universal tripod (or just scotch tape to stick at any surface) + Voice Control and take picture just by saying "Smile", "Cheese", "Capture" or "Shoot".
You may use any other Camera app of choice, for example Google Camera has Photo Sphere mode.
Milon Hossen, 27 Feb 2016I could not make videos into the water. as my smart phone is samsung galaxy s5 neo. when I kee... moreHave you read the Galaxy S5 Neo user manual and the standard "IEC 60529 - Degrees of Protection provided by Enclosures"? Where exactly in the standard have you seen any guarantee for underwater work? It is about water and dust protection only.
However you may use special waterproof case /sealed waterproof bag/ for Galaxy S5 - you may search at amazon.com for "Galaxy S5 Waterproof Case" and you will find different similar products for example "Voxkin Universal Waterproof Case for iPhone 6S, 6, 6 Plus, 5, 5S, 4, Galaxy S6 S5, Note 4, LG G4, HTC".
I want ask about samsung s5 neo,i trow one glass with water from back side where is the speaker and now i can't liste music like before ??
I could not make videos into the water. as my smart phone is samsung galaxy s5 neo. when I keep my phone into the water then it is been autometic closed. so there have anybody for help me, how can I make videos into water?
jane , 11 Feb 2016I have just purchased the s5 neo and found the sound is so quiet on video messaging i had to k... moreI have a problem wen i on the fone speking looks like in raining a emptw place eco
me007, 24 Feb 2016The camera of Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo is good, not perfect. For better results use always Pro M... moreMost things of what you said are right but....shutter speed goes down to 1/17 and this is verified but many people.Setting a higher ISO is not the solution.You might get a little faster speed but you also get a lot of digital noise.So it is better is shoot a darker photo and make it lighter in post editing managing the noise than getting a very noisy image which if you edit it later you will get it softer.
Anonymous, 25 Feb 2016I've had mine 2 days. ..should have kept the S4 can't delete double contacts ...when I put pho... moreThe best way to keep your contacts is to synchronize them with Microsoft Outlook.
Even 10 years ago my Nokia N70 had a very convenient application to do that, the same was for all the mobile phones then. On tyour computer is much more convenient to edit your contacts and then to sync them with your phone.
Now with smartphones you may use Microsoft Outlook contacts sync or Gmail contacts sync or Skype contacts sync. You may control to sync or not to sync the contacts with your favorite e-mail app and to edit them easily from your computer. You may search at the Google Apps store for additional contacts sync applications - there are many.
Regarding the Galaxy S5 Neo camera quality complaints - there was previous very simple reminder (6 blog pages before). If anyone has problems with camera quality it is because you haven't took off the plastic sticky patch on the camera lens. Please remove the sticky patch on the camera lens and you will see the difference.
me007, 24 Feb 2016I have my Galaxy S5 Neo for 2 weeks, here is my review: Pros: - perfect format, good mobil... moreI've had mine 2 days. ..should have kept the S4 can't delete double contacts ...when I put photo onto a contact not all contacts show up ...only 1 per letter show up so next phone won't be a Samsung. ..on my 3rd one ...now I'm stuck with it
I have my Galaxy S5 Neo for 2 weeks, here is my review:
- perfect format, good mobile connection and WiFi (5G), fast octa-processor;
- great super AMOLED display with rich colors and special coating - no fingerprints on it;
- micro-SIM, micro-SD card (up to 128GB);
- removable, really long lasting battery in Power saving mode, fast charging;
- good rear/front cameras;
- sensitive GPS/GLONASS navigation (20-21 satellites, accuracy 4m), works good with Google Maps, Nokia Here maps, MapFactor Navigator, My Tracks apps;
- good quality FM radio;
- water resistent, pedometer and heartbeat sensor;
- perfect video player in Full HD, perfect Kindle pdf reader, e-books reader, great for all office and e-mail apps, Flipboard, etc;
- business class Knox security with worldwide security certifications - that means properly designed OS, hw and sw security.
- Mono speaker.
Richard, 15 Feb 2016Where is radio app?The Radio app is pre-installed - use Apps tab to find it.
Great quality (needs earphones or headset like antenna).
You may scan the FM ranges, edit the names, remember your favorite FM radios from the list and choose them from menu.
Anonymous, 02 Feb 2016I am reading all these posts about blurry photos.I would say this.The camera of S5 Neo is very... moreThe camera of Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo is good, not perfect.
For better results use always Pro Mode. Here you may change:
1. Metering (Matrix is normally better than the default Center weighted, however sometimes you may need Spot Metering too);
2. You can not change the shutter speed however you may change ISO, which gives the same result. The default shutter speed is around 1/100 and less, only in low light sometimes it may use 1/50 which is fine to me;
3. You may use custom White Balance if necessary.
From the Settings you may activate Voice Control and take picture just by saying "Smile", "Cheese", "Capture" or "Shoot" - works really well and reduces the camera shaking.
From the Settings you may remove Location Tag and choose the Picture size (12M 16:9 or 16M 4:3) too.
Don't use too much digital zoom - the result is reduced quality.
You may use spot focusing - just touch the area on the picture where you want the camera to be focused. It works well.
Leeriff, 24 Feb 2016Would of been best to see if phone had certain features on it before complaining about it. It would also HAVE been best if you learned to how to write and spell...
Leeriff, 24 Feb 2016Would of been best to see if phone had certain features on it before complaining about it. It would also HAVE been best if you learned how to write and spell...
Shanrie, 24 Feb 2016I've bought this smartphone last Dec 23, 2015. For 2 months use, here are my pros and cons. ... moreWould of been best to see if phone had certain features on it before complaining about it.
I've bought this smartphone last Dec 23, 2015. For 2 months use, here are my pros and cons.
- Good Super AMOLED display which make colors vibrant.
- Nice front camera, 5MP from 2MP on S5.
- Still has a pedometer and heartbeat sensor
- Experiencing lags, because of slower processor speed only 1.6 GHz even though its already an octa and without games installed.
- Rear camera: Very sensitive to shakes even the minute ones.
- No white color for this phone in Canada, only black available.
- No IR transmitter/receiver.
- No fingerprint sensor, although I don't need that feature.
For overall performance I give 3.5 stars because of the slower processor speed and lags and rear camera shakiness.
I've had the s5 neo for about a month now. I'm waiting for my Otterbox to come in. But this phone had such a weak design. The camera cracked in the cold and then continued to cave in. My power button is already getting worn and sticky. For a month old phone it shouldn't have so much lag for what it's supposed to be. What do I do? Who do I call? Would they fix or switch it for free? And would these be considered as a manufacturing problem? Or would I have to pay all the fees?