Dr.Blue, 21 Jan 2012the one released in Egypt GOT NO PHONE
I had inserted a sim card in it and didn't find a dia... moreYes you CAN make phone calls as normal, it just didn't ship with a dialer.
I am having regular GSM network phone calls and even some video-calls if you wish. You can either get a 3rd party dialer app from the market (as I did), or use your contacts list for initiating calls.
After reading most of the reviews of this product on this site, all I got was a debate whether or not this device can make GSM-SIM calls -> It cannot. I can receive and reply to SMS from my friends, but they cannot call me and vice-versa. But it's a valid question since we are on GSMarena. The feature was probably disabled as a a casualty of the ongoing Patent Wars. If what you are looking for is a hybrid tablet-phone device, I recommend looking at the Galaxy Note.
Background: This is my first tablet device, and I was actually waiting a long time for the now-mythical 7.7. Before getting any tablet, you should have a phone and a laptop/netbook since no tablet can replace either of these devices. In decreasing order, I primarily use a tablet for web site browsing on-the-go, GPS maps/directions, checking work/personal email, facebook, videos, and games.
- Size and weight (Big enough for most websites and videos, but small and portable enough to hand-carry to most places - including a case)
- Speed (A good test is to see how Angry Birds plays)
- Beautiful screen (More ppi than Ipad 2)
- Decent camera (If you need 4/more megapixels, pinhole cameras don't do very well, and it looks weird when taking pics anyway)
- No calls (WiFi calls are the only option here)
- No microSD (I don't need that much space based on my usage, but if/when I do, I have the Samsung adapters for SD cards and USB flashdrives)
- Proprietary charge/data port (was able to find a nifty little plug-in with Samsung's port on one end, and a micro-USB on the other)
- Cannot play VLC/unformatted movies directly (some apps are available for this, but I prefer to stream my HQ movies to a larger TV screen)
Recommended Free Productivity Apps from AndroidMarket:
- AirDroid (so you can transfer files to/from any PC without cables or installing software)
- Android Lost (hopefully not needed, but also allows you to send any command to your device remotely)
- PocketCloud Remote RDP/VNC (allows you to remotely login to your home computer - faster vs simultaneous control using TeamViewer)
- QuickSearch Widget (bypass the search pages of Wikipedia, Yahoo, Amazon, etc)
- Tablet Keyboard (type in landscape mode without straining your thumbs)
- Tiny Flashlight + LED (aside from usual, strobe, Morse code, and shake-to-on while locked feature)
- Unified Remote (use the tablet to control your computer, with multiple remotes available)
- Virtual Recorder (record important meetings)
- Waze: Community GPS Navigation (turn-by-turn navigation and traffic reporting for most countries)
the one released in Egypt GOT NO PHONE
I had inserted a sim card in it and didn't find a dialer
also when I made a contact
the only communicate available was SMS
I feel so sorry I had been waiting for it
elmo hoo, 05 Jan 2012i have same question on tis, can it made call??can i make call with it
install the Thumb Keyboard app. it's a paid app but at a reasonable price. the keyboard layout is perfect for tablets when you are using both hands/thumbs.
LisA01, 16 Jan 2012I bought me 1. I knew I won't be able to make or receive calls. How to I load airtime? Can it ... moreit can receive/send sms/mms. mms are downloaded first before the contents can be viewed. loading depends if your sim is on prepaid or postpaid. contact your network provider.
I bought me 1. I knew I won't be able to make or receive calls. How to I load airtime? Can it only receive text messages and not sent?
awesome piece of technology... battery backup id too good. touch is awesome, wonderful body, and work best with 3g, wifi. tethering application is too good.
but didnt have calling feature. sms, mms are available.
zarikiey, 12 Jan 2012what about its battery life?can last how long?Ten hours, as they say holds true for decent usage (the screen apparently consumes 70% of the power). Of course in the first few day when you are totally obsessed with your new toy, the battery would have to be charged twice a day. After you come back to your senses, the charge can be held for one or even two days.
zarikiey, 12 Jan 2012what about its battery life?can last how long?for heavy usage - packet data is on, 3G is on, frequent browsing/internet - the tablet gives a day decent usage. if connected to wifi continuously and using the internet - the battery will provide 5 to 6 hours usage. for light usage - music/e-book reading/sms - 2 days.
elmo hoo, 05 Jan 2012i have same question on tis, can it made call??groove ip..
me, 05 Jan 2012Hai wanna ask all of 8.9 user,can this tablet make a call??please answer me,I wanna buy this t... moreyes download groove ip and install, also make sure your google voice is set up.. it will make wifi calls. but uses your google phone number
I tryed the gps yesterday but it only worked if you downloaded the maps first. What am I doing wrong? Does it work like a gps system or do you need connection ??
Dawn, 05 Jan 2012My galaxy 8.9 does not recognize the cards. Do I need to download a program first?some generic usb adaptor doesn't work with dgt 8.9 that's why whrn i bought mine i tested it first, no need to install any app
elmo hoo, 05 Jan 2012i have same question on tis, can it made call??to elmo hoo. this tab can't make call. can call with internet only like Skype. maybe soon can call like HTC flyer.