Leah, 30 Aug 2008Tommyboy... I have the connection for wi-fi but the problem is i can't really browse at all... morewell, maybe it's the problem with internet explorer, because up to d firmware the explorer and messenger don't want to connect to the web through wi-fi but only through gprs/umts which is crap since you have to pay for it (a nasty bug). Maybe you should try Opera, i browse with it and it works ok (but still no messenger - although i heard skype works great) Hope it helps! Regards!
I have the connection for wi-fi but the problem is i can't really browse at all...please help me in this.the battery life also is short...
oilfriedghost, 29 Aug 2008Just got the i780 about a month ago and it rocks! It truly has been an amazing experience so f... moreSuperb sayed- i agree with everything you've written. A great phone with little or no setbacks. I'm not regreting to going from Nokia to wm and what device is better to do that than with this one (or maybe Omnia). Cheers!
Just got the i780 about a month ago and it rocks! It truly has been an amazing experience so far. Overall I am very satisfied and have zero regrets.
- Super slim and light
- Beautiful screen
- Excellent input options (touchscreen, stylus, qwerty, d-pad/mouse)
-- Tablet-like stylus options to input via "liquid-ink"
-- old-school palm "hieroglyphics" input option (I guess a plus for all you hard-core palm users)
-- handwriting recognition
- SuperFast CPU
- Ample amount of internal memory to install programs
- Expansion MicroSDHC supports upwards of 8GB
- Dual camera (for 3G video calls, not like that'll happen smoothly in NA)
- WiFi & Bluetooth
- A-GPS works great w/ gmaps, GarminXT, and TomTom (as tested so far)
- Skype works great!
- Second Li-on battery
- pim sync w/ outlook+activesync a breeze
-- sync w/ thunderbird+sunbird super easy w/ birdiesync
- Tri-band, but 1900 is all I need in NA
- No 3G bands for North America, but way too expensive anyway.. I'll stick to EDGE since I'm a light data user
- no Infrared, but who still uses this?
- non-standard square display - software screen incompatibility for older software, but newer software will support
- non-standard headphone jack, requires adapter to use your fav headphones; uses proprietary Samsung all-in-one connector
- mediocre battery life is constantly used (e.g. Wifi, GPS, Bluetooth.. will last slightly longer than a day)
- does not come with car charger (but we can always buy an after-market one on the web for a few bucks)
- camera is slow, night-mode photos are pointless; terrible macro (not for you if having a great camera is a deal-breaker)
- video is pretty good
- no built-in voice dialing software; will have to rely on third-party
- wifi disconnects when phone enters sleep mode; maybe a good thing to conserve battery. But if you really need it always on, just prevent phone from sleeping.
- stylus tip supposed to be able to hit soft reset, but not long enough! anyone else?
leah, 28 Aug 2008tnx4 the help Tommyboy... i'm using wi-fi (unsecured) but still it won't go through. in cas... moreDamn! It should go through - or maybe there is a problem with the unit. Do you have the unit connected to the wi-fi and can't get the broswer to connect or you can't connect to the wi-fi at all?
tnx4 the help Tommyboy...
i'm using wi-fi (unsecured) but still it won't go through. in case i' going to use opera-is there any charge for it? pleaseee help my guys...
Kev, 28 Aug 2008Guys...i just got the phone and it seems there are no GPS software installed. Any idea on how ... moreHi! I got my unit with demo of Garmin preinstalled on sd card. Otherwise you have to buy it from the vendor or browse the internet for other ways of activating the software.Regards!
leah, 28 Aug 2008cannot use my intenet always page cannot be displayed or downloaded...If you're connecting through wi-fi you have to configure the device. If it's an unsecured network it should connect instantly. I use Opera browser because of the bug in firmware i cannot browse the internet with internet explorer on wi-fi (it wants to connect through gprs). Otherwise you shouldn't have any problems connecting on wi-fi. Regards!
please help me on how to connect to the internet.everytime i'm connecting to the internet using wi-fi.it won't go through.always cannot download even yahoo.send me email on email@example.com.
tnx so much
Guys...i just got the phone and it seems there are no GPS software installed. Any idea on how i can solve this?
Eddy, 28 Aug 2008Hi guys, want to ask you about this phone. What is the maximum Micro SD capacity compatible fo... moreHi! Micro SDHC cards work with the device ofcourse, the maximum capacity of cards used with this device is 16gb (in my country they're still not available) but you have screenshots from german users with this unit using 16gb sdhc micro sd! Regards!
Hi guys, want to ask you about this phone. What is the maximum Micro SD capacity compatible for this phone?
Does Micro SD-HC work with this phone?
david, 28 Aug 20082 questions,
1. Is it possible to lock the cellular network to GSM instead of UMTS+GSM auto... moreSorry, 1 more questions,
3. Most of the user report that the battery life is excellent. But most of the other user also report that when GPS on, you can only have 2 hours with this baby. Is that when GPS on, you can only have 2 hour ?
1. Is it possible to lock the cellular network to GSM instead of UMTS+GSM auto mode ?
2. Any ex-E61/E61i/E71 user can compare the battery life of i780 to the Nokia E series ?
For those of you who claimed that the GPS doesn't work, you need to do your homework to google around.
If you use MapKing, u'll need PortSplitter running before you run MapKing.
If you use Garmin or iGO8, you don't need anything else to install. The GPS will definitely work.
I'm not sure other clients like TomTom, etc.
But for majority of the client, you need to set the 'external GPS' settings to be in COM8 for the program and COM9 for the hardware. Baut rate try 4800.
Is there anyone using this phone on the Vodacom SA network? Do you need to do anything special for the GPS to work, I mean really work
cape town, 26 Jun 2008Got my i780 from vodacom and the garmin works fantastic.This must be the greatest phone ever.O... moredude, im thinking of get'n this phone on my upgrade , did u try mxit for windows? pitty it does'nt work, uhm i780 supports java though , did u mail the mxit tech team? they were very helpfull when i mailed them
i780 is a blessing. I love it & it's hassle-free.
Can anyone tell me if I can use this phone as a voice recorder during meetings.