Edge, 26 Dec 2009Faye > in order to install WinMo 6.5 you need a cooked ROM. Why cooked? Because WinMo 6.5 firm... moreEdge,
In reply to your statement.
1. I have no idea but this really fedup.
2. If you browse those heavy data/content site, you have to clear the cache.
3. If 1 year down the road still using the original rom release, really boring. Yes, you can have a custom rom, but flash it with ur own risk.
4. I have cooked a DXID release and cook back to original DXIA5 downloaded from samsung official website, too bad, flash until 3rd step, bricked.
5. No idea on your statement.
6. Really slow bro, as i know htc same batch release have 256mb ram already. Thats good enough.
7. What I mean is, Iphone keep coming out with the new OS for 3g and 3gs / Ipod. Just that this Omnia non stop coming new model like omnia pro, omnia II and so on. Samsung forget about Omnia I900 already.
8. Of coz I know Omnia I900 has a mouse, but using that wheel to the x button is way too slow. If you are using Iphone, it is smart enough to determine where you wish to click on exactly. Ok, lets dun take Iphone as you will think I am way too bias. Let take HTC HD2, its about the same like Iphone.
Yes, Iphone have a responsive screen. Bare in mind that TomTom have developed an application for Iphone which i think it might not be an issue for it. Maybe it would be disadvantages if you are in the Asia region because garmin is well known in Asia. But that is not a problem for me as I have a PND with Wince.net 5.0 where i can install garmin/mapking/TomTom/Igo. To be honest, samsung are using a so-called not strong enough chipset of GPS which makes it hard to detect the signal from car if your car is tinted with V-Cool brand.
For the camera megapixel, i think it doesnt matter for me since one of my fren are using it to snap his modelling architecture project and the quality looks good enough. I don't really care on it since i am not that person who always use the camera. I rather use SLR. But if you are considering a good cam on mobile, go consider this HD2. I have just play around with my fren's HD2 which I felt its freaking good at the moment.
I will quite the Iphone more faster than omnia? I think nope. Previously I am freaking enthusiast of winmo, do modification and etc. But really tired of this winmo. I ain't gamers type. But i just hope that there will be a phone which can counter the above problem.
P/S: No hard feeling bro. Seriously just my very own opinion to share around. Just felt tired of the very first release of omnia with GPS which catch my attention at the first place. But sooner or later, felt fedup with the update/patches by official samsung.
Kx, 25 Dec 2009Forget about this omnia. Used for 6 months + . The result is:
1. Touch screen based on nail... moreAs a former omnia user for 5 months i know exactly how you feel,and i know you're not making these bad things up.
I once said omnia is 95% overall good,well i guess now someone has experience of the remaining 5%,just like i did,as for me i've hard reset omnia about 8 times just to fix those problems,i did fix them after that i've had enough.
If you're going to change it to iPhone (just like me) then it's really up to you,just don't go to 2G iPhone,choose between 3G or 3Gs,and make sure you're ready for the things you'll miss once you have an iPhone,mainly about a very limited multitasking and battery live.
Beyond those two unsolved negative things,you'll get an absolutely new feeling & experience in touchscreen smartphone you'll never find in any other handset.
Faye > in order to install WinMo 6.5 you need a cooked ROM. Why cooked? Because WinMo 6.5 firmwares from Samsung are not available for Omnia I900 phones too. You can find tens of cooked ROM of WinMo 6.5 on modaco forums.
For increasing text size go to Settings > System > Screen > Text Size and select a size you consider better.
Anonymous > for putting sms alerts you have to go to Settings > Personal > Sounds & Notifications > Notifications > Event: Messaging: New text message > tick Play Sound and select a song. I bet there's only the Vibrate function ticked.
1) No skin, just nails.. correct. Resistive screen not capacitive. Read the difference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchscreen
2) There's enough memory if you install your apps on the 8/16GB MyStorage or and expansion microSD card. I have an omnia 8gb with no expansion card and although I have 24 apps installed I still have 42MB out of 96.5 Program memory and 60.41MB out of 94.2 Storage Memory.
3) No rom update in 6 months? That would be good if you have found a good rom to stick with. I have DXIA5 firmware from February and many say it is the best WinMo 6.1 firmware.
4) I don't know what you exactly mean... I have seen a custom cooked WinMo 6.5 firmware on a friend's Omnia and because he didn't like it, I reinstalled DXIA5 back on it.
5) It's a phone, not a PC. Altough it's a PPC it still is 20 times smaller than a PC. Resume to normal tasking and everything will be fine. Don't start 2 browsers, listen to music and play some game just to see if it can run it cause it is useless.
6) Depends on who's using the phone. If it's someone who knows how to use the phone, 128MB is enough, trust me.
7) Don't really understand what you mean. You are saying Iphone is better because Apple doesn't release many phone OS updates? Then why didn't we just stick to stone wheel?
8) Phone has a mouse too, you know? It is controlled by the dark square button between the answer/reject buttons. You can activate it by going to Settings > System > Finger Mouse. Simple as that...
I feel sorry for you that you are so seriously downgradint to iPhone which has nothing else but a super fast response screen. They had to launch 3 versions of the iPhone just to add a damn GPS on it which I dare to wish you good luck using it if you don't have an internet connection. Besides that, seriously .. 3.15MPX? Even my old K800 had that and it cost one tenth of the iPhone price. You will quit the iPhone even faster than the Omnia.
xavier > look for and install: RescoKeyboard or FingerKeyboard. Larger and more functions buttons.
Can somebody tell me how to install the windows mobile 6.5 ... is it possible on my omnia I900 8GB ????
Is there any way to enlarge the text size because the small letters are driving me crazyyyyyyyyyyyy!
Hey guys..can someone kindly tell me how to put the sound alerts for txt message for this phone i've been trying but nothing happens for txt message except vibration..the phone calls is alright does the sound alert but not for message alert..cheers.
Forget about this omnia. Used for 6 months + . The result is:
1. Touch screen based on nails rather than skin. Have to hard press.
2. Insufficient memory when installing apps unless u use some custom rom. I have bricked my phone once.
3. From the first day I bought this phone till now, no rom update.
4. Once use custom rom and u wish to back to original rom, good luck guys.
5. Laggy when open too much apps.
6.Processor speed is fast, as I know is 600+ mhz but the RAM sucks, just 128.
7. Not long ago after the release, Samsung release new model rather than new ROM/OS. This is really sad. Unlike Iphone, they release OS constantly and more standardized on their release.
8. some scrolling/close button not big enuff which makes me damn annoy where i need to use my nail.
Anyway, its really come out from my experience. No hard feeling guys who uses this phone. Now I aim for Iphone. All the best dude.
Arnold, 25 Dec 2009I have used this phone for 3months, it was a good phone and now i installed HTC software Windo... moreWindows 6.5 is microsoft software,htc is just a manufacturer like samsung.sammy is better than taiwanese htc.
I have used this phone for 3months, it was a good phone and now i installed HTC software Window 6.5, after i installed, it made this phone more flexible to use with sms and email,
Camera photo is very good, but vidoe is not so good,
It should be upgraded the screen resolution and sunlight reflecting.
Thank u very samsung!
i can't use the screen keyboard well in message because the keyboard was small and doesn't fit my finger...it make my finger painful...and its screen's response aren't good...example when i press the button 'space' and it will send the message...this make me unhappy...but on other function make it become excellent...
P.S. My Omnia battery holds for 3 to 5 days on medium usage. Older firmwares like HH1 drained the battery much faster. That is why I recommended installing DXIA5 or DXID1 firmwares since I have personally tested and am using them.
As for the camera, look for yourself. I consider them to be quite good for an integrated camera phone. Three shots taken from my window:
LuckyNr7, 22 Dec 2009Hi Edge...
First of all...sorry if my english isnt the best,because im portuguese and somet... moreYou can use both phone internal memory or MyStorage (8gb/16gb) or StorageCard for installing apps. The only application I have installed so far and needed to be installed on the phone's internal memory was SPB Mobile Shell 3.5 but that doesn't suck up a lot of mem. Pictures are decent and can get better by changing camera settings before taking pictures. There are some camera setting tutorials on the web for taking best pics, the only problem is the thing that once you close camera, settings reset. As for the audio, sorry, but I have never tested it because I simply do not really listen to music on my Omnia. I use it for browsing on the wi-fi, do calculations, gps, taking pics whenever i don't have my camera with me, play games, etc, etc. I will try to make a review but once I know this phone better. Although I have it for almost 1 year I can trully say it astonishes shows me what it can do every day. I am currently running SPB Mobile Shell 3.5 + many others apps. I am planing on installing IneSoft Phone 5, PointUI Home, HomeScreen ++ and many more, but...as soon as I have the time.
For wi-fi problems do this: settings > connections > wi-fi > Network to acces: all available > and then go to menu > Turn on Wi-fi. As soon as you do that, it will search for all around available networks. The ones that have WPA/WEP protection have a small lock next to the signal icon. On those, you can connect only if you have the key. Also, there are networks that although do not show a lock icon, they are protected. Try this with your indoor wi-fi network for best results, then you can try it outside with mcdonald or w/e free wi-fi network you can find around.
From Romania, a merry Xmas to you all!
i have had the samsung omnia for awhile now. but just read it has video calling who can walk me thru this
LuckyNr7, 22 Dec 2009Hi Edge... First of all...sorry if my english isnt the best,because im portuguese and somet... moreHello, I`ve had mi Omnia for more than 1 year, it has been a great cell, now i'm bored of it, but it really works, i have no complain about it.
Edge, 21 Dec 2009Having this phone for 1 year makes me say that an WinMo phone kicks the hell out of any other ... moreHi Edge...
First of all...sorry if my english isnt the best,because im portuguese and somethimes its not easy to wright...but lets go to the point of this post...
U seem to be very happy with omnia and if seen a lot,but really a lot of reviews of omnia and i can almost say that is 50% opinion of a good phone...50% opinion of a bad phone...and im confused...
I had many phones...nokia...blackberry...sony..qtek...samsung...and nothing made me really happy than n95-8g because of the camera and audio...3,5 jack was also a good thing...but im tired of nokias and omnia seems to have a great relation price/qualaty but then again...is it realy good? Pictures? audio with the adaptor for 3,5 headphones? Apps to install i saw a lot but can we use the 8g memory or just the internal memory of the phone?
Try to make a review more especific if u can or want. I could gave u my email so we could change opinions but then again this is not the safest place to do it and i know that maybe u dont have the time to "help" me decide if it is a good choice or not.
Anyway...thanks for all ur posts and sorry for any mistakes :)
i got my phone few days ago....it is quite nice~
but the cracking software like garmin gps hang my phone some times. so i re-format the whole tings.
can someone provide website or where can i get a free gps software for my omnia??
Having this phone for 1 year makes me say that an WinMo phone kicks the hell out of any other operating system, including Symbian or Apple's iphone os. First of all because there are tens of thousands of available apps just waiting to be downloaded. And I mean serious apps, like GPS software, calculators with the ability to draw function graphics, integrate or differentiate a given function without sticking and having to reopen application dozens of times like on symbian, hd and senzor control games like FerrariGT, registry and system cleaning apps, much faster and better web browsers and so on. So, if you have to choose between phones... choose the WinMo OS one. So, Omnia or Touch Diamond. Between these i would choose Omnia 99,9% because it has: bigger screen (3.2 vs 2.8 inch), 8/16gb vs 4gb hdd space, 5mpx (face and smile detection, image stabilization, wide dynamic range) vs 3.15mpx camera, 624Mhz vs 528Mhz CPU, 1440mAh vs 900mAh battery. Basically: it's faster, has more space, bigger screen, higher res camera and looks better. So, Omnia FTW. I agree that in the right hands, any winMo phone rocks but why not get the best of what you can afford and tune it to go better than anything else.