first you can watch .3gp movies 176x144 screen size no matter how long they are which means you CAN watch full lenght movies
second you can use .mp3 files as ringtones only when they're in haandset memory, you can also use short movies for your contact list
third for any furhter questions you can email me :) cheers mates
Anyone hwo knows if its possible to have mp3s as ringtones. If so how? Thanks
Smurf. I saw you talking about avi and concerting etc. I am about to by the phone just want to know if i will be able to watch movies in it. Cours, the screen is to smal to really enjoy them, but just for the hell of it.
Is there any way of downloading some kind of program to be able to use it with a mp3player?
Hi. Can anyone tell me what kind of video files you can look at, like avi, mpeg? etc Thanks
hi can anyone tell me what Handset code wants me when i try to lock folder or enyone pls tel me thanks
anyone got any hints about saving stuff i send from my pc to my phone.it fails to send,i think it is because of the memory being too small on the phone, how do i get it to save direct to my memory card.i use an adaptor it seems to pick up my pc fine and vica versa.
Yeah the usb data cables not really an option as I bought a bluetooth dongle in order to use with my new 'Bluetooth capable phone'. Its not the phone as such, it can find my PC and vice versa and it can find other phones and send and receive files.
The problem is the piece of s**t software thats bundled with it. It doesnt find my phone even though the software that came with my bluetooth dongle can recognise my phone and receive files from it. Only problem is it can only send business cards to the phone. Thats why I need to get handset manager working in order to transfer files to my phone (mp3's etc.)
Any help from anybody who has managed to transfer files via bluetooth using the handset manager application (if you can call it an application) would be very much appreciated.
yeh my bluetooth works fine with other phones and it seems to find computers at work. i dont have bluetooth on my home pc so im not sure. Just get a usb data cable and you'll be sweet to go.
Also i have put in a 1gig microSD card in this phone and it works.
(Memory status - 967.8MB Free) I havent been home to copy a gigs worth of stuff on it yet to fully test it but it looks very promising. If you're in nz or aus you can buy a 1gig card for this phone for $88 including gst or a 512mb for $44. www.flashcards.co.nz
I bought this phone as it had everything I was looking for (Video camera, 3G, MP3 Player etc.) especially Bluetooth! Well I've been able to send and receive files from other phones but cant seem to get it to work with my PC as such. I can send files to my PC and can see it through my bluetooth software. The problem is the Handset Manager software that comes with the phone. I cant seem to get it to connect with my phone at all! It just says Searching for device but never seems to find it. There is no help in the documentation at all. Its like a black hole that you must explore on your own! So if anyone has explored this black hole and seen the light could they let us all know how it works. Thanks!
As regards to the performance of the phone. Its good for the price of the phone. It covers all the bases but doesnt excel at any of them. The layout of menus is nice and fairly intuitive (Ive mostly always had Nokias and was anxious about this). Have had it freeze on me once or twice for no apparent reason and I cant even switch it off so just gotta pull out the battery! Theres a few niggles with this phone as posted previously but in general its a solid phone thats more than value for money!
Any answers to my questions please post them!
Also I found if you reply to a MMS but only reply with text it automatically sends as a MMS and you cant change it back to SMS. Best way is to create a brand new message - a tad stupid really.
The text size doesnt bother me and I probably have worse vision than the lot of you with probably about 5% vision in my left eye and 70% in my right but yes bigger text would still be a good option.
**As far as mpeg avi divx etc etc go. You want a program called Aplus Video to 3GP V3.
a very quick way to convert most video formats to the standard 3gp. There are different resolutions and settings you can choose from in the profile makeup of your converted 3gp files.
-cell phone 3gp files(3gp + aac)
-all 320 x 240 options will NOT work
-176 x 144 work and look good
Ive only ripped happy tree friends but as far as i can see the normal quality and high quality are exactly the same except that the high quality version the audio seems to be very very slighty out of time.
best option = 176 x 144 normal quality stereo in either Xvid or MPEG4 profile.
file size reduction worked out to be
original divx file - 7000kb
3gp ripped file - 2500kb
A trademe retailer is letting me test a 1gig microSD card in the phone to see if i have any luck so i will update you all wanting to know. Cheers!
I took the plunge & bought it last week. Couldn't wait any longer though since my current phone was dying, so had to out of necessity also. It's decent enough - does all I need it to and more, but wouldn't say I'm blown away by it. REALLY found it hard to find out much about it before I got it. No reviews anywhere... more questions here than answers until VERY recently. Wish there were more reviews/comments earlier for informed choice - but oh well, it's done now! :)
1) Text size: You can change it in the Phone Settings under display - though only changes to bold etc. I find Normal okay for me though. STUPID how it changes to MMS if you increase text size in message. Glad you mentioned it, didn't notice that!
2) Screen colour/resolution good. "Wowed" me looking @ pics from old phone on this. Didn't realise how good some of them looked! :D
3) Video recording - better quality on my old GX15, and bro's GX17! Too blocky on this.
4) Video STREAMING has impressed, nice and clear (though I've never used 3G before to compare).
5) Bluetooth's been fine for me - only been transferring pictures and ringtones between old and new phone, and to other people.
6) Annoying plastic covers for headphone and charge ports(?). They're going to snap off eventually!
7) No full version of games come with this phone, only demos - unlike previous models.
8) Keypad better than I thought. Not struggling to text after all.
9) I like the SPLIT photo feature in Photo Editor (can make a wallpaper with 4 photos).
10) Alarms: Great, this has snooze. Used to just set mulitple alarms to be safe :D
I give it... um about 7/10. Time to stop rambling. :D
This phone is new in NZ, and I recently got suckered into buying it by the salesperson in the Vodafone owned shop.
It is aesthetically pleasing, professional looking and feels nice. It is also well featured for the price of $499.
However, there are some major faults that no-one here wants to recognize, admit, know about, let alone get fixed.
1) The text font size default cannot be changed. For SMS creation the standard font size is so small as to be virtually unreadable to people over 40! You can change it for the current message, and this forces the message to be MMS, not SMS. However the change affects the current message only.
2) Using the phone as a Bluetooth Modem is not successful, and Vodafone here in NZ refuse to support any connection to the internet through them that is not their own datacard.
3) The screen display does not have a "dimmed down" screen saver, it only switches off. Therefore if there is a missed call, and you don't see it on the screen before it switches off - tough. The only way to see the missed call is to press a button to re-activate the screen. This is a MAJOR drawback.
4) Bluetooth transfers seem to be limited to handset only, and the Sync Manager is quite slow.
For these reasons I am returning the phone today for a full refund. Sharp and Vodafone need a swift kick in the rear for releasing this phone onto innocent customers without advising these drawbacks, let alone refusing to acknowledge or do anything about them.
Maybe the Nokia 6680 or Motorola V3X might be better bets.
FOr questions asked previously.
1. yes you can use mp3s as ringtones/message tones aslong as they are stored on the internal memory - which is fine as ringtones should only be 20seconds max, so just edit the mp3s to reasonable size before transferring them to your phone.
2. polyphonic ringtones/midi files (.mid) are compatible and easy as to find on the net. They can go straight onto your phone so you dont have to pay stupid prices through your provider.
3. this phone doesnt seem to be compatible with mpeg/divx movies which kinda sucks, BUT you can download 3gp converters to convert movie formats to the cellphone standard. Im not sure if you have to alter the resolution yet but will find out tonight.
4. the keypad. the keys are close together yes but because of their shape they arent as bad to use as they look. my fat fingers has accidently pressed the wrong ones on occasion but just gettin used to it. They also do feel cheap and junky.
MY QUESTION - Is this phone capable of using 1gig micro SD or is it 512mb as the spec says
had the phone now for 2 weeks and it just keeps on freezing on me all the time, especially when i receive a phonecall sometimes the phone just freezes and i cant answer it, is anyone else having the same problem with this phone??