It is light, compact & reasonable performance. Phonebook capacity is very good.
Just changed from a 7110 due to loads of lockups & crashes. Sony is good but has a few faults:
1. Ringtones are too quiet, I have missed a couple of calls in noisy environments.
2. Screen backlight is quite dim, and contrast not wonderfull - especially after the excellent 7110 display.
3. Jog dial is awkward to use one-handed if you are right-handed (should have been central or RHS - lefties will love it!)
4. Poor SMS capacity and no option for SMS directories.
5. Poor quality when recording your own tones - lets face it thats what most people are buying this phone for. You really need the data cable and entertainment software CD to make the most of this feature!
Phone was £119 from Carphone warehouse on BT Cellnet Pay-&-Go. As Cellnet locked phones are not available yet this was supplied totally unlocked - BONUS!!
I have the option to return within 14 days, so I will see just how annoying the lack of volume on the ringer becomes - shame because otherwise its a great phone. very light, nice looker and call quality is brilliant.
I'm thinking 'bout buying myself one. What do y'all think about the Jay Five ?
this fone is da best if it had a composer and would vibrate while ringing. there is also lots of things to download to ure fone with da data cable and driver software you can buy these for only £27.00 every sony j5 owner should get one
The best product ever,
The most unique feature and performance,
cost effective among other,
Your the best.
i have the hand set with me , only the thing is if they provide more sms storage facility it will be help ful for me and security like lock for the mobile .
Simply the best mobile phone on the market. I've got Siemens SL45 and it's a shit compared...beleive me.
I got myself this phone but i took it back after 2 days :-(, few resons for this. Ringtones are crap, very low volume also the phone is light but i wouldn't put it in me jeans pocket because i felt like it would snap in half :-( WAP is slow and i couldn't get the POP email to work at all and the jog dial means that you have to use 2 hands most of the time. I am now going to get a Nokia 6210.
The difference between j5 and the j5e is that the j5e is specially designed for orange (like the nokia 3310 is 3310e under orange)
Can u please e-mail me the manual of the SONY CMD J5 handset.
I'll be really greatful to you.
the jog dial located on the left side of the phone helps right-handed people actually. you can use your phone with your left hand and write with your right hand (while taking notes).
This phone is Wicked good features and nice design and size but can some one who has this fone tell me whether its got a composer as well as own recordable ringtones this is even better than Nokia's man
owed it for 3 days now, upgraded from a sagem mc920, so i'm in love with the t9 texting. no more triple pushing to get to letters.
Very Very dissapointed with the sound quality of the recordable tones, in this day and age of CDs this phone sounds like a old dictation machine, I actually cut up the hands free lead in order to conect the mic input directly to my comp output, only slightly better. If you try to record sounds in loud they play back very distorted, tempted to rip the speaker out of my sagem and attach to j5. its weird I want to use to sounds ive recorded but know i will miss calls because of the low volume. I put a lot of bass on the recordings so you can feel it almost vibrate, got the idea from the internal sounds which sound just like a gameboy, I think they even used the Zelda theme.
Group system is brill my 1st time, about 30 diff groups.
WAP IS CRAP slow useless, might as well go home to the pc, not sonys fault
jog wheel means 2 hands use
dont get me wrong this is a execellent PHONE but the main attraction leaves you dissapointed
wot the diff j5 j5e??
I have the Nokia 3310 which i bought thinking it was the best phone, now i read about this SONY and i have deffo changed my mind. The main reson for buying this nokia was 1. because it was a Nokia (SMS pics and stuff) 2. had no arieal + ringtones logos etc... but after see this sony with email wap....etc i have deffo changed my mind. So i am going to sell this nokia and buy me a SONY :0)
i think that this phone rules!!! and if anyone has a problem with this my address = 10 downing street (you may see me on the news!!).
I've had this phone for 2 weeks now. It is good but I think companies like Nokia and Ericsson, who actually specialize in these products, know more about how a mobile phone should be and really make them user friendly. However, Sony have got a mobile that is innovative and of good quality like all of their electronic goods but just lack that little touch that makes it a great phone. The ringers are not quite loud enough (I live in HK) and the fact that the virbra-alert cannot action with the ringer is a downer - not that it'd make much difference anyway as it is a very weak vibration.
The games are not too great either, it's got
1) Banana's - you are a monkey and have to knock down an opponent monkey climbing on another tree by taking turns in throwing banana's at each other. There is a flag to indicate the strength of the wind and you control the angle and strength of the throw. Similar to a game called Tanx I used to play on my Amiga.
2) PicPuz - Your basic tiled mixed picture puzzle.
3) MindBlaster - Guess sequences of numbers. On submission of each guess you are told how many number you guess right and how many are in the right sequence.
4) Sand Art - Not really a game but a rather strange (theraputic) novelty in which sand just falls down like in an egg timer - you get to change the colour of the sand and poisition where the sand falls, hence creating some kinda art I suppose, but I found it rather boring.
I also have problems connecting to the internet ie. cannot connect, maybe I should contact my ISP about it.
Things I really like are the Scheduler, World time, Animated menus, startup/shotdowns and it's really light too. I like the modest (bland?) but definitely Sony design and it has good reception too. Overall a good phone.
More details about this phone are on the Sony site :
where you can also download the manual.
I got the new phone today on orange network and found that it was a bring tilliant phone. I am usually a NOKIA fan, but after having so many shutter problems with the 7710e deciede to try the new Sony mobile. Reception is sharp and so are the look. The only downside is that the jog dial might have better either central or on the right-hand side (as most people are right-handed)
Hey, I just bought it but no user guide is with it, can someone help me please ? also, does it have voice memo or not ???