1. Design&Ergonomics - The handset is light and handy. Straight front view is too basic :(. Keypad is NOT glossy black; the rubber look isn't very pleasing (Well I'm happy that I am serving mother nature by using a Greenheart series phone)Also the length could've been reduced- there is unnecessary space above the display. Apart from these, the phone looks good from all other angles. The curved design adds style and compensates to an extent, the old-fashioned front design. The speaker sound also comes undisturbed due to the curvature. Weight is concentrated towards the bottom so good to hold and work with. Battery cover is a little creaky(dont know if it is my fault). The keypad is very comfortable for texting and all. Camera and volume keys also good. But no full marks to SE till they stop this ever-problamatic fast port(no problems from Elm till now).
2. Interface and Functionality - is the best part of Elm which makes it worth for the price. The cool new generation UI of SE features smart-search for contacts, conversation sms view, new media interface, shortcuts extended to individual java apps, menu view varieties, saving sms to memory card to save space, and much more.. Up navigation key shortcut is reserved for WIDGETS- calendar, face book, Twitter and Eco-walkmate. Cannot add more widgets. Noise shield and clear voice options are available during calls. The interface is FAST, no lags.
**TAGGING is a special feature of the new generation UI of SE. You can tag photos and later view 'em by categories(tags). You can tag sms, arrange them in category folders and view inbox by these folders. This is even better than creating usual folders because one message can be included in more than one category folders! And now in Elm, categories are there in Contacts also; a very useful feature. Category can be added in the last tab while creating/editing a contact. Categories(business, personal or whatever you like) can be selected from contact options.
3. Display - is a little dim indeed. As said by SE, the default brightness is reduced to 80%(even if you set it 100%) and the light sensor does a bit extra job in this phone! All this to help battery. The display takes out its full power in pure sunlight giving good sunlight legibility. But if You are used to phones with very bright displays it may trouble you a little, especially in low light conditions, till You are adjusted with it. This doesn't affect the clarity or visibility at all, but do affect visibility at different angles. But afterall we must remember that this is a phone with a GREEN heart!
Flashlite 2.1(or 3.0?) is supported. A lot of flash stuff- flash themes, wallpapers etc are available in the web to enhance the homescreen; most of them being analogue clocks.
4. Multimedia - Camera is excellent in good light and not needed to say, poor in low light due to the lack of a good flash. The led light is useful as a torch. Face detection and smile detection are cool. First press of camera button gives autofocus, deep press captures. Video is VGA@30fps; good experience. The microphone also is good and sensitive while recording a video.
Music player is good. Megabass is there in equaliser. But NO manual equaliser!? The sound through speaker is not very loud; still decent enough. The sound is clear and so good and overall it matches with the comfort of an eco-friendly handset- no noise and pleasing. MH-300 headset is familiar to me with different new handsets. It fits comfortably in ears, gives clear output, though not very bassy. If You want more bass, You've to look for other headsets. I use MW-600 stereo bluetooth headset; good experience.
Auto rotate is enabled in the media center and browser.
But the photoDJ- image editor is missing! SE forgot? :O Well, a photofix is there; that's all.
5. Messaging - is much refined. Inbox offers basic and conversation views. Messages can be arranged in category folders. Storage is practically unlimited; limited only by available memory. Memory card storage saves phone memory. The create-message screen comes with some of the OLD troubles of SE fixed. In SE phones it was always a headache typing numbers; to enter number mode one has to long press # and select 123 mode. But now the # key switches between abc ABC Abc and 123 modes, even in dictionary mode. Also press * key to launch symbols. LOng press * activates the dictionary(they call it Quick text now; modified ofcourse). Themes creators can now customise writing screen colours.
6. Contacts - 1000 contacts with 7000 numbers max. A thumbnail of the contact images can be shown along with names list. Smart search is cool; so is the Categories option.
7. Battery - Very good for a phone of this class. I got 3-3.5 days with average use and 2.5 days with above average use. I will be satisfied with anything not less than 2 days for a multimedia phone.
8. Other - Net surfing is good with 2.5G and Wi-Fi. I couldn't test 3G. Data cable is included in the pack. No secondary camera for Videocall. (That is SE; they won't give you all at a time. And if SE think they are wise, they may find their customers wiser, going after other brands :p) GPS is working good. Wisepilot and google maps included. In calendar, 'FIND' optin is missing under Advanced!? Themes version is 4.9.
Overall, a light and handy phone with full of features, not extremely loud, not extremely bright, but with a GREEN heart..
(Did i miss something?)
rain, 24 Dec 2010how can i use the "threaded sms" feature??
because mine is still like the old typ... moreOpen Inbox and press 'Right --> ' navigation key.
Conversation and Inbox modes are alternate tabs..
Mike, 23 Dec 2010I`ve got this phone sinc august and it`s a piece of shit... Mine it`s branded on Orange and th... moreon my elm, WiFi working well. I had no any issue with this phone. there are lot of apps for that phone. most java apps support.
Im using MGMaps Google maps offline. working great.
I can get GPS lock within 10 sec. and GPS is very accurate. no GPS dissconnect while moving.
Camera is awsome. it take vivid clear shots. flash is not the best.
how can i use the "threaded sms" feature??
because mine is still like the old type of sms...
i am planning to buy this phone as ia m impressed by the features offered,but iam confused as i get negative and positive comment about it.
can anyone pls pls
recommend 2 me whether it is worth or nt?
i like taking photos,browsing and playing games as well as using youtube.
does it satiesfy my needs?
i am currently using k770i
I`ve got this phone sinc august and it`s a piece of shit... Mine it`s branded on Orange and the wi-fi is horibble, the browser sucks and there are no apps for this phone. If you want a good phone, not just for camera like this one buy an android phone, or if you had enough money buy an iphone 4G! DON`T BUY THIS PHONE !
Can I view youtube videos using my normal GPRS enabled SIM card, or do I need to get a 3g card/connectivity to view youtube videos. Need a quick reply. Lost my phone (SE G502) today, have to buy another by tomorrow. Thanks in advance. Appreciate all your inputs. Regards,
Anonymous, 09 Dec 2010can u just tell me how to zoom the camera in 5 magapixel category
you cant zoom the photo when the 5mega pixel is selected. just try ajusting to the 3 me.pixel.
How ever you can zoom ur photo after taking. it has high quality resolution. just press the one of the side button that located in the camera button
Anonymous, 22 Dec 2010macho. how can connect it to the pc without data cable
Dont worry there are Data Cables in Mobile shops. Buy one of it. And connect your SE mobile with PC. No need to install the Software,because The phone has intregrated Software set up, when you connect to the PC it will automatically set up the installation,
I brought SE J10i2 Mobile recenlty and I'm enjoying having it. The 5 Megapixel camera provides the High Quality images and MP4 video recondings. Actually it's brillient mobile that I ever had.
this phone have great features . Its been a 3 month nd i m happy with all its features .
If u need a phone within 10000 range sony ericsson elm is best .
Voice clarity best
theard messaging a very helpful feature
internet browses is best
Samwise, 22 Dec 2010Ah. Really excellent phone i've ever used. It has all I need. But don't forget to change your ... moreagreed with Samwise! infact, i just got myself the HPM-88 and darn...the sound is so perfect especially with MegaBass enabled on the EQ setting. very very satisfying indeed!
I brought this phone 3 months ago.
It dropped two times but working perfectly. not even a scratch.
very solid & durable.
Camera is one of the best camera phones in market.
this phone has all features you want.
recommend to buy everyone.
LEONINE, 21 Dec 2010hows the sound quality.......is camera good...and is it speakers loud???average sound quality, it will be great if you hav hpm handsfree
camera? Thats great! Same quality with cybershot..
Ah. Really excellent phone i've ever used. It has all I need. But don't forget to change your head-set.
Anonymous, 22 Dec 2010Thanks. But can I get my old messages by pc suit? Which version supports to this hand set?Sony Ericsson PC Suite 6.011.00
Awsome features and camera.
only problem is no front camera.
anyway best phone.
1000 times worth to money