I like the design of this K550i very much. But I'm an extreme E61 user, since 2006. This is my review, hope they helps for people who wants to own the smart monster. & If u'd like to compare between the two phone, up to you. But i gotta tell you that those phone are stand on different category. E61 is full features business smartphone, while K550i is oriented more for fun in everyday usage.
Pros of E61:
+ superb voice clarity during calls
+ very good signal reception everywhere
+ great comfortable & classy thin design
+ good full-fuctional qwerty keyboard with some useful shortcuts of bluetooth, IrDA, etc
+ good & reliable phonebook
+ useful 64mb internal memory with more or less than 46,5mb ram always available in standby
+ fast writing speed in message or notes, no lag
+ as always, good organized calendar
+ great display quality
+ software compitability with other Nokia official themes of Eseries & Nseries making the phone's menu interface always look updated (this is a very good mark, by the way)
+ fast menu interface of the symbian OS
+ complete kinds of feature & connection such pop-portUSB, IrDa, Bluetooth, GPRS, EDGE, 3G, Wlan, Modem & PTT (the last one is totally useless in almost every country)
+ great internet browser plus WiFi
+ WiFi, Wlan, or whatever you'd like to call it- it's mean FREE internet connection. I'm using this feature a lot & this is the killer feature of this phone. I bought this unit 90% reason is because of the avaibility of WiFi
+ nice and user-friendly mp3 player
+ very good music quality using original Nokia HS-23 handsfree set (found in-box with N80 or others)
+ editable equaliser for optimal good sound experience
+ remakable speed of menu operation even using 2gb card (I'm using original Nokia miniSD)
+ great build quality, steel-finished bodyparts
+ good battery life.
Cons of E61:
- it's a shame that the phone has a big 2.8" fabulous screen with 16 millions color with enough QVGA resolution, but don't feature a built in TV tuner, e. g. to watch news. (DVBH-TV is very much not welcomed however for it is not a FREE service)
- NO CAMERA (yes - business needs camera)
- so sadly, NO RADIO with RDS (Visual Radio is a plus, but it's service comes with a price, internet connection charge = not free)
- slow java (.jar games / application)
- slow message reading ..IF.. using memory card as the default sms storage
- very long phone start up lag when powered on
- joystick, not as friendly as Dpad
- if you install more than about 17 themes, than the new ones will replace the older one randomly, & sometimes it delete your favourite one (to be replaced with the new theme). Trust me it really hit you hard when happens :( maybe the maximum amount of additional themes are less than 20? you decide what best for your E61 however
- NO FLASH-BASED THEMES (if there is, would somebody kindly inform me where to download them for FREE?)
- only one minute voice recording available as default (don't talk about 3rd party software, - this is still a loss)
- not even standard repeat alarm available, even my previous entry-level Nokia 6030, 3120, 1600, 2310, 1200 has it.
- keyboard needs to be improved for maximum ease of use (straight example; while driving - even it's so unsafe using ANY phone, actually)
- disastrous & unrecognisable sound / ringtone / music quality when using maximum volume via loudspeaker (this one is a serious drawback of otherwise good phone)
- pop-port connector, not miniUSB
- not ergonomic sim card bed (this issue may only occur for people who changes their simcards often, it's not really matters actually)
- miniSD access possible only if you remove the battery cover first. Now the thing is about this, the Eseries born kind of all-business thing, so they were meant to keep the most secret valueable datas of the user very carefull, that means the storage (memory card) are designed to be located hidden under battery cover for maximum protection. But still, if you own this unit of E serie and if you keep confidential data on it, will you ever let anyone touch your phone from the first place? If anyone really wants your data they will just go (steal) for the phone, instead of the memory card only.
1. I don't miss a secondary videocall camera, but adding it will make it compelete of course. (or make it became Nseries-labeled?)
2. I know some of the above-mentioned cons are covered with the update model of E61i, but some things are just stand for itself. Like this unit, i just won't exchange it for E61i just because of minor issues above. Hope u get what i mean.
3. My E61 firmware is 1.0610.04.04 dated 19-04-06 code RM-89. I never, ever, not even once- update the software of my device. It still running smoothly with no error or crash at all in daily usage.
4. -Nokia Eseries E stand for Enterprise
-Nokia Nseries stand for "New Series" when first introduced to market it hit the world of mobile phones for their multimedia capability. Remember the slogan "See new. Hear new. Feel new." in N70, N90 & N91 advertising material? those are among the very first-introduced products of the Nseries line. Sounds familiar right
-Sony Ericsson P series stand for Professional
-Sony Ericsson M series stand for Mobility, a mobile office with a lot of functionality
-Sony Ericsson W series stand for -yes you all already know- Walkman
-Sony Ericsson K series stand for Kamera, mostly Cyber-Shot branded (I personally looove the design of K550i by the way. The white one looks very stylish & yummy)
5. So, should I still go for SE K550i? I don't think so. It's like the K550i is the lost love that i will never own, even it's in sight in front of my eyes. It is a product that I so badly wanted.. but not I really needed
6. I think I'll go for N93i instead of K550i. because that phone has the good-look i want, the Symbian smartphone features i need (+WiFi of course), & much more better camera for daily usage. But it comes with a price
7. Remember my name everybody.
Is it possible 2 hear music through a Bluetooth head set?
If possible how?
Good phone but the out put on the speaker is not loud enough.
the keypad is normal..although it seems hard to press, there´s no difference there:)i love it!:)))))
the keypad is not hard to press, i got used to it after 3 days of texting...
can i ask question.?? if. ..
the keypad of this phone hard to press.??
This phone is good, not great, it`s very simple, it has everything we know of the SE phones, nothing new, just the design, and has bluetooth, infrared, flash. The Cammera is not that good; I had a k750 years ago (stolen) and the cammera was better than k550, it seems that is very close to 1.6mp rather than 2.0 mp.
The other problem is that the usb cable port (same port for the headphones) is located in the right side of the phone, a little bit uncomfortable, and the headphones that come in the package aren`t so good also and you can not control the tracks with the headphone control.. The sound is not bad, but in the highest volume the sound can be annoying. Keypad is very comfortable to use. Summarizing, the price and quality are good for this kinf of phone, you shouldn`t expect a phone like k750 or w810, this phone (k550) is a little less qualified. Regards
well maybe if u'd like to know why i just dont switch from E61 to this great k550i.. that actually even cheaper a lot.
it's not about the price that matters.
mmh.. maybe go to E61 comment area and you'll konw what i'm talking about.
i'm leading the line there =)
yes yes yes.. yess.. no doubt i like & loove this phone very very much.. specially the one in white. but dont know why should i use this for if i buy one. i really fall in love with the design of this device..
see, the thing is i only use ONE phone. and that 'lucky phone' goes to Nokia E61.
Cyber-shot seems very very appealing & interesting. but i got Nikon.
I'm a photographer.
Dear Jazzz and other members
unfortunately, K550 white is not available in pakistan
only balck color is marketed by sonyericsson pakistan
i have contacted with them directlya nd they emailed that it is not available in white color
can i buy white K550 from any interent site, pls recommend and guide me
This is not a great phone but good phone.
but zoom is the major problem to this mobile.
picture clarity is good.
I have just bought it 1 Months earlier. Its a great phone.But its one problem is that u can not zoom in 2MP Mode.
I've bought this mobile yesterday...the problem is i couldn't play mov & avi files in it...is there any software to be installed to play these files? please do reply
to Newton Leonardo,
seems like u 'love' this phone so much, Y arent u buying it??
u got any better choice??
yes white is better... i have mine as white. pearl white..its so cool. my friends said they thought white looks gayish but in person it is definitly different. on ly problem, the 2 megapixel word attached on the camera cover eventually fades sometime. other than that, i have no problem with it.
This phone is available in white. Search for pictures of it on google and you'll see the K550i in white...!
Dear all, the white k550i is the best colour among other se phone. it's worth your money.
but i'm not buying it. remember my name everybody
you can convert k550 in w610,read this
i have read your recommendation about K550 and i will defienetly buy it
but i am in search of a white model , i like white than black
can u suggest that how white color K550 look in real life, is it more attractive than black one
i wonder to see white K550