vit , 13 Aug 2008BTW I wouldn't change this gem for another phone in near future :) It is gorgeous and enchanti... morehow long was it since u got the phone? im pretty sure its a manufacturer's defect. get it changed or you'll regret it. either that or u can go to a service center and check with the guys there to see if its really a prob or its just u imagining things which i doubt is the case. lol! btw did u drop it or sit on it or something?
amethyst, 13 Aug 2008My w980 DOES light, when I play music and when I get a call or a message. That works fine. I ... morewe are talking about the wrong lighting panel here. u are referring to the clear piece of glass/plastic(watever material it is) that lights up when music is played according to rythm, or when theres a call or sms it blinks white lights am i right? im referring to the small LED light panel thats just between the charging port and the left speaker which is like 2mm long
BTW I wouldn't change this gem for another phone in near future :) It is gorgeous and enchanting. I love it more and more each day.
Thank you for the answers. I doubt the phone could be exchanged for this reverb sound at high volumes while talking, because I'm not sure I can even demonstrate it. In some conversations I can here it and in others I can not. Maybe I will talk to my dealer to see what he suggests but I am very sceptical about exchange.
since this has shared memory
wouldn't it slow down when by the time you put songs and files there
My w980 DOES light, when I play music and when I get a call or a message.
That works fine. I meant when you are charging it
Anonymous, 13 Aug 2008exactly my thoughts too. i thought it would blink if i had a miss call or sms that i haven rea... moreI've never used this phone so I might be wrong here, but the little thing next to the charger port looks almost exactly like the light level sensor on my W850. It automatically changes the brightness of the screen's backlight, basd on the light level of your environment. Try covering it up and see if your screen brightness changes...
ash, 13 Aug 2008this phone is so awesum.. does it have wifi??theres no wifi, theres GPS but u need the plug-in accessory from SE. imo theres no need for wifi if u ask me, i have an unlimited internet plan which only costs like $7USD/month and i can surf till i drop dead. i get dl speeds on my laptop via usb cable to the phone as a modem at 1400kbps, upload speed at 320kpbs.
amethyst, 13 Aug 2008I have no idea what that thing is either Still testing things,no answers from me I'm afraid.N... moreexactly my thoughts too. i thought it would blink if i had a miss call or sms that i haven read. i tried calling/sms-ing myself and waited for the screen on the external display to go off, still doesn't blink. charging doesn't work either. i haven tried getting the phone out of network coverage to check if it blinks if theres no signal. if anyone tried it, kindly let us know wtf happens. lol thanks in advance =P
I have no idea what that thing is either
Still testing things,no answers from me I'm afraid.Not yet.
But,...is it supposed to blink or flash when it is charging ??? no lights here
vit , 13 Aug 2008Ok I have several questions if someone could share his own experience with this beauty.
1. W... moreregards to question:
1. have ur phone changed as i had the same probs too. went back and did a 1 to 1 exchange.
2. yes it is true the down button on external screen does nothing except 'pretty' lights flying out of the walkman logo. to be honest i really love my W980 as it looks extremly awesome and sexy but SE sucked at creating its walkman feature on this phone.(not sure if other SE phones have the same prob as this is my first W series phone from SE) you cant sort your playlists(if u in fact had created one) in anyway, be it by name or artist or album. i also agree with u on not being able to scroll through the current playlist on external screen, we have to press the UP button which opens the walkman player menu, then scroll down and start searching for songs again from scratch. kinda dumb if u ask me.. since u NEED NOT do this if u did it internally.
3. i have no idea on your problem as i dont use the media manager crap. i either use phone mode or mass storage.
anyway i hope SE updates the damn software so that it works faster(even by a slight amount would do for me). and also upgrade/redesign their Walkman feature as it is not really user friendly if u ask me. still, im really in love with my w980 as it just looks too damn good! hehe =)
hope this helps u.. cheers!
btw can anyone tell me wtf is the LED light on the left side of the phone(next to the charging panel) for? i have never once seen it blinking or watever.
Ok I have several questions if someone could share his own experience with this beauty.
1. When I increase the volume during calls to more than 50% certain vibrating noise appears in the earpiece( kind of not so solid assembly ) Does someone notice such weird buz noises when loudness during calls is increased too much.
2. When using the walkman on internal display and playing a song pushing down arrow button shows a list with all the songs from the current artist/album. You can scroll and select different song to start playing. When the phone is closed and song is playing hitting down arrow button does nothing important with the exception of emiting colored dots from walkman logo onscreen. If I want to view and scroll through all songs from current artist/album I should start from the beginning ( scrolling through artists -> albums again). Is this behaviour usual or is it just my phone?
3. While transfering music via Media Manager the program often loses connection with the phone if I set it to Media Transfer. If Mass Storage is used no problem but I cannot use my phone for calls and anything else. Now I installed Media Manager 1.2 which should be newer version than 1.1b that came on the software disc, but I haven't tried it yet. If s'o has observations regarding this problem I'll be glad to learn a solution.
Beautiful little beast!
Sound is amazing!
Very tiny and not too heavy either. Nice screen.
Mine arrived yesterday,from Germany(I live in Barcelona,Catalonia, Spain)
Sound, lots better than w910
Outside Lock for touchbuttons
Outer Touch buttons
Lights telling you there's a call or message
Fast music input
Screen shoul've been like w910's.There's space!
Tiny other keys
Could be lighter (like w910)
Jammi, 10 Aug 2008hi I purchased this mobile on 4th AUG 2008 in singapore..it came around 788 SGD (approx 24k) .... moreeh cartoon, to reject call when the flip is closed just press the volumn key(up OR down) twice and ur call is rejected. its a standard for all the clamshells i've used. also, to mute the call just press the volumn key(up OR down) once. hope u experiment with ur fone more before mentioning the DOWNSIDES of the fone kthx
Well, the phone is my hands for 5 days now, and it is really a pleasure. I've had touch Diamond for a day before and despite its completeness in features it is far behind in terms of experience. The quality of w980 is unrivalled and its easy of use is surpassing even iPhone I'm sure. Screen and fort readability, key size and feel (even touch keys are superb ), menus, the way it rests in your hand - everything contributes to my ever deeper atachment to it. I do not miss 3.5 jack ( I used my former w800 with stock headphones only and the handsfree or w980 is better by far ), the camera is not very good that's true ( the photos made with w800 are better I think no matter it is 2Mpixel ) but I am not much of a photographer. So if you want the limit in every possible feature go with something like Inov8 by Samsung, but if you want style, streamlined interface, top music and superior build quality w980 is unrivelled. I always value simpler things working flawlessly than overly bloated solutions with most of the features never used and with used features never working like they should.
I work for Jag Communications in the U.K and this message will hopfully answer a few questions.
As of the time of posting this phone - sim free - comes in at around £370
Being a 'walkman' phone. Remember that walkman is a brand name, sony are the pioneers of personal stereo players, they invented them. So this phone will have fantastic quality playback using your headphones.
I have had the opportunity to use one myself and I would not normally say this about an S.E but I am... impressed is too strong a word... try surprised.
Downside, 8gb internal. Consumers want removable memory. Much like a P.C the more data you store on it the slower it will run.
Jammi, 10 Aug 2008Also forgot to mention
(-)(-)the Camera Lens is a very awkward position when try to shoot any... moreHello Jammi,
i bought this phone at singapore too on 9th August because of.... w9/8 ...0?
Thanks for you info regarding "cancelling the call without opening the phone." Now then i realize it.
Btw, the camera lens is really located at awkward positon. Your finger covers them!
Other than this, i still find this phone is lovely! Hoping to see next new version of sony walkman flip phone like this! KEWL!