Kikis, 04 Oct 2019Been using this phone for a couple of months now.
I have a habit to change mi phones every 6 ... moreI'm comparing this phone to my old Galaxy S9+.
I'll try and be simple...what I didn't liked about the S9+ are:
1. Seemingly non-wide angle lense on both front & rear cameras
2. Uninspiring selfie camera as it looks washed out (poor dynamic range), poor sharpness & skin tone, so-so low light selfie photos.
3. No option for Pixel-like gesture navigation; it is still stuck to the 3-button nav or the awkward Samung-centric 3-bar nav.
Thinking about the latest software updates...does the Xperia 1 provide a better option/experience than the three I have mentioned here?
I would like an honest and open advice please. Thanks.
AlexP, 01 Oct 2019Don't lie yourselfYou don't know how to use a Sony phone
Been using this phone for a couple of months now.
I have a habit to change mi phones every 6 months or sooner, so I have used many phones.
After using Xperia 1 I must say, that it is a mediocre phone and would not suggest it to anyone, especially for this price when there are so many options.
Long story short:
-Performance is really good
- Camera is not good. It only takes good photos in well lit environments. When it gets dimmer and and light gets worse, the photos are blurry, without any detail and very dark. Also, camera is very slow.
- Fingerprint scanner is a disaster. This is the worst thing on this phone. The position is good, but the issue is that it does not work... Literaly 90% of time it does not work at all and I have to enter pin/pattern. I have done Factory Resets and have registered new fingerprints dozens of times, and it still does not work. It is terrible.
- Screen, besides the high resolution, is average. Brightness is too low and you cannot even see the resolution difference. basically it's too dim for my liking.
- It feels good in the hand and does not feel too long actually. I can see that other manufacturers could use this aspect ratio soon as well.
- Speakers are good, but there is no depth, no base. Quite plane and flat sound. And the phone vibrates when you turn the volume past 60%
- Battery is actually good. Despite the fact it is low on paper - in real life usage it is good. Not great, but good.
I give this phone 5/10
Dimensions: 167 x 72 x 8.2 mm (6.57 x 2.83 x 0.32 in)
6.5" height x2.8" width, it's a disappointment. I suggest that they should expand Xperia 2 to 7" height x 4" width, it's the best option and the market will rise and be competitive against Asian brands, (Xiaomi, Samsung, Realme, Oppo, OnePlus, LG and Huawei).
Anonymous, 26 Sep 2019The difference is, iPhone's software is optimized for the hardware and battery it comes with. ... moreBut iphone doesn't last long though. I mean, for a heavy user like me, i have to charge it for like 3-4 times a day
[deleted post]Yup slow camera app opening and mediocre performance..
Anonymous, 26 Sep 2019The difference is, iPhone's software is optimized for the hardware and battery it comes with. ... moreYou'd be be surprised at how well the battery in the Xperia 1 holds up despite its size. Very optimized for it's hardware, unfortunately there are many who simply judge battery life based solely on size/spec & not actual usage.
None2, 25 Sep 2019Everyone is talking about the small battery is on the Xperia 1, but iPhone's got a smaller bat... moreThe difference is, iPhone's software is optimized for the hardware and battery it comes with. I doubt XPERIA 1 or any Android phone, other than Pixels, for that matter, has that kind of optimizations
Xperia 1 users, has anyone noticed issues with the auto focus? like images that are soft and not really correctly in focus. I have issues with exactly that and they have been present since i got the phone brand new, even my exchange Xperia 1 has the same issues. I get about 80% out of focus/soft images. This only happens with photography. The phone has most problems with macro and landscapes from my experiance. Manual focus is wierd, when pushing the focus slider over 70% the camera loses focus completly and the images get, well not usable! My phone is up to date with updates aswell.
anandreau, 22 Sep 2019sony just does not understand why its phones don't sell very well (like samsung or chinese bra... moreEveryone is talking about the small battery is on the Xperia 1, but iPhone's got a smaller battery and everybody is praising the battery life prrff
anandreau, 22 Sep 2019sony just does not understand why its phones don't sell very well (like samsung or chinese bra... moreEveryone is going make longer and narrower, even Samsung has 20:9 display phone. And LG was first with 21:9. So don't blame Sony for that, blame yourself that you know nothing about
Its a great phone, only downside for me is how quickly the glass coating wore down, I got a finger blotch after two weeks
anandreau, 22 Sep 2019sony just does not understand why its phones don't sell very well (like samsung or chinese bra... moreSony has innovative and practically empress on Eye AF from Alpha camera to Xperia. This is very useful for life time photography example when capture photo the people winking and closed eye or not the nice one but with Eye tracking AF AE will capture the every nice shot with burst and the Xperia 5 even come with advanced rectify 3 times for each of the photos, if you want to get a jumping photography it will be impressive each "continues" photos from the burst shot are AF AE and the people is focused.
Those competitors just want comsumer buy their "infinity" screen but with a lot compromise, example like notch/waterdrop/punch hole, waterfall screen/curved edge. For the implement of UD fingerprint it is complicated to the display but doesn't better than side mounted fingerprint reader. For the elevator front camera it also complicated for the module and lack water-resistant... A bunch of compromising...and impractical.
sony just does not understand why its phones don't sell very well (like samsung or chinese brands).
If only this phone had 3.5 mm jack and bezel-less screen and a bit more battery, then it would be perfect.
what sony makes as a result: let's make it longer but narrower and call this innovation.
sorry sony, if you go this way you will end up being another nokia.
I would make some interaction with playstation background if I were the ceo of Sony.
also always listen to the customers.