As a compact owner since the Z1c and now the Z5c, this looks like a definite downgrade from the Z5c with that 650 chip. No upgrading for me. I will be waiting to see if Sony comes out with a true flagship compact utilizing the 820 chip. Sony, if you are listening, the main draw of the Z1, Z3, and Z5 compacts was that you get all the power of the flagship device in a small package. The Xperia compact series have been the only serious iPhone contender these last several years. Had Sony marketed the phone better, the way Samsung plasters the world with their ads, I am sure the compacts would have sold better.
Anonymous, 14 Sep 2016Yup, they don't see that this is a compact version of Xperia X....
They might release Xperi... moreexactly.
but i think the xz compact will launch next year and not in a few months
Tann Hauser, 14 Sep 2016Thats because this is NOT Sonys flagship compact fella, else it would cost 440£ as z5c w... moreYup, they don't see that this is a compact version of Xperia X....
They might release Xperia XZ Compact few months later.
meh, 14 Sep 2016ugliest overpriced compact i've ever seen.
lol. z5c is a lot better than this.
shame on you sony.Thats because this is NOT Sonys flagship compact fella, else it would cost 440£ as z5c was priced,
X Compact midranger costs 380£ exactly because...its the best midrange compact phone out there
Is this phone is lunching globally. ? when it will be available at India..? What is the expected price? Plz ans gsmarena...
Best compact on market based on performance, Quality and Reliability
...just another Sony cell.
ugliest overpriced compact i've ever seen.
lol. z5c is a lot better than this.
shame on you sony.
I'm a Sony Fan . I have Sony TV'S for many years , lap tops, & I had Z1 c, ZR , ZL, & Z3 C . This one has same size screen +bigger in length +bigger in with&thickness& only 100ma + battery & some little tech specs which are not big deal.
If they will built Z5 C with 4.7 -4.9 screen & same length of Z3C & 3000 battery, they would break all the records. But , They probably will not.... Or why would they come up with scrap (waste of Money for them & for buyers if they will have Z5C) . If they dont(Z5C) go (no, run ) & buy Z3C....The best so far.
So the best compact phone by far, and the only one I would consider buying...became just another phone. I thought these things were supposed to get better with time, not worse. Very heartbreaking, especially with all the hype this was getting before it was announced.
Anonymous, 12 Sep 2016Best compact performance and Quality cell on market. I agree, there is no other choice for fans of small form factor devices. No mid range (SD650 level) devices are as compact as X Compact; sony wins by default. I think I'll be getting the white colour once it becomes available locally. I like the design and materials used.
Anonymous, 12 Sep 2016Why did you give up putting flagship specs in the compact, Sony? And why such thick chin? Th... moreThey didn't give up. This is not their next compact flagship phone. Why does no one actually read the articles and press release. Sony clearly said this is a compact mid-range version for the X series, not the "new Z5 compact"!
Anonymous, 12 Sep 2016Why did you give up putting flagship specs in the compact, Sony? And why such thick chin? Th... moreDude, why you so many people only focusing on numbers, try it then complain, you want snapdragon 820 for better performance for example, did you try it with snapdragon 650, or you people want 4-6 gb of ram, well, if you are a sony boy then you should know that sony doesn't need more than 3 gb of ram, do you want to pay additional 100-150-200 $ just for additional numbers???
Why did you give up putting flagship specs in the compact, Sony? And why such thick chin? The side bezels can be slimmer like the XA
Help for sony.
I would advice sony to reduce end bezels,work on thinner gadgets as its easy to use and not bulky.
Praise for sony.
Specs are the best
Why I'll never buy another Sony phone
This is by far the worst phone I have ever owned. I bought this because it was the only phone on the market(in the US) the size I wanted, and with wireless charging, would have gotten the z5c if it had this. Charging ports are always a weakness so I wanted to avoid that on a more expensive device if I could. The big issues with this phone:
1. The build quality and materials are subpar for the job. The back panel was a clear and obvious engineering fail. How they could possibly think the material they used was up to the task is beyond me. The phone also has way way too much flex, which is part of why the glass cracks so easily.
2. The lollipop release for the phone was terrible, and caused significant battery drain. This you can solve by flashing back to kitkat, which is what I did. Marshmallow is not proving to be any different from what I've seen on the web thus far.
3. The microphone firmware has significant issues, it will not function correctly when making/taking a call. I have tried reinstalling firmware and all other suggestions on the web, none of which work to resolve the issue. This essentially makes this phone, unusable as a phone, unless you can always have it on speaker, in which case the mic works fine.
4. The auto mode for the camera is complete garbage, using manual mode resolves most of the issues for the camera, but switching between video and picture is poorly implemented.
5. The back light bleed at the top of screen is super annoying, this isn't an issue if you always keep the phone perpendicular to your face, but if you angle it away from you it is super visible, there's a perfectly white strip and it just makes the phone look cheap and again poorly engineered.
6. The signal indicator is another firmware fail, it often shows very weak signal when in fact you have excellent signal, this isn't a big issue, but is an annoyance.
7. After the first drop on the floor, with a case and tempered glass screen protector the touch screen cracked, and ceased to work.
Sony builds some great looking phones, with impressive specs in their compact lines, but the quality of materials and manufacturing is not good. If your product is designed for mobile use, it should be built to withstand the normal circumstances it would encounter in a mobile work environment. Sadly this is not the case.
If you do a google search for any of these issues you can find repeated postings of most of the issues I encountered from other users. You can also find them within reviews of the z3c on this site.