I have been waiting for ages to upgrade and finally thought the Z5c would do...not too big!!
...and not an iphone.
I am VERY pleased. nice size (a teeny bit smaller would be better) and awesome functionality.
fine grained handling of apps for controlling power and data use.
a beautiful bit of kit. over 3 days battery life doing all I want and need.
This smartphone is perfect for me. Good battery, camera, waterproof, compact, fast charging, but no dual SIM.
It's a 4,6 inch smartphone with a body thatÂ’s as small as that of a 4 inch which is same as my old Xperia M.
Dreamer, 07 Oct 2016After almost one year of use I regret buying this phone. My old Z3 was way better and faster, ... moreSomeone is clearly dreaming if they think that the Note 7 catching fire and potentially burning down their house is an upgrade from the Z5c. Also Samsung has halted production of the Note 7 since even the replacements are catching fire.
Dreamer, 07 Oct 2016After almost one year of use I regret buying this phone. My old Z3 was way better and faster, ... more??? You regret on buying z5 compact because z3 compact was better, okay acceptable, but you want to sell z5 compact then buy galaxy Note 7, this doesn't make any sense, why do you have a compact smartphone and another before if you have no problem to buy a large smartphone like Note 7?
After almost one year of use I regret buying this phone. My old Z3 was way better and faster, It was actually the best mobile phone I've ever owned. I'm planning to sell it and go for the Note 7
Have you experienced poor battery life ever since updating to 6.0.1?
Now that the X Compact is out, the reviews meh, and the design aesthetic barf, I predict that the Z5 Compact will increase in price as supplies dwindle. The X Compact is clearly a mid-level phone in a small and atrociously ugly form factorÂ—a major departure from the Z series compact models which did not compromise on internal specs or styling. Probably the biggest disappointment is no more water-resistance/proofing. Poof! Gone in an era when Samsung, Apple and others have finally caught up to Sony. To be fair, Sony has taken a beating on over-heating and water proofing issues. I don't think Sony clearly thought through the fact that when a phone leaves the factory it may be water-proof, but after being dropped, bumped and abused, that water-proofing gets compromised, yet Sony is still on the hook. To their credit they replaced my Z1 Compact for free, no questions asked. As a result, I no longer purposely get my phone wet, but it is nice to know that a little accidental water won't fry it.
This is a strange place to be in. Ever since I bought my Z1 Compact several years ago, I have only felt FOMO with the frenetic pace that Sony was releasing newer models. Now, I just feel disappointment. Looks like I will be staying with the Z5 Compact for a while. It's all good though. I love my Z5c and it really will take something special before something new comes along to make me want to upgrade.
Asaf Kessler, 03 Oct 2016don't ever buy these phone!!!! I had the z3c, it was very good, but after I changed to the z5c... moreI cant agree more with you, my wort invesment yet. Its not worth the money and the z3c its at least 2 classes ahead of z5c on every point of view
don't ever buy these phone!!!! I had the z3c, it was very good, but after I changed to the z5c I started to have many many problems - slow as hell, no battery life as sony said there is, and full with bugs. I have already made two factory resets and it didn't help. do your self a favour and don't get sony's mobile phones.
AnonD-586076, 01 Oct 2016well, i love this phoneAnd so do I, great phone, I brought 2, the new sony phone ain't so good!
was a good phone until marshmallow update Do Not buy this phone until sony fixes these major issues . after waiting for 12 months for this i am very dissapointed . seems like sony is determined to lose its mobile buisines
phone is great... just cpu and gpu are overheating... good for like 3-4 hours of pokemon go or 2 days of normal usage lets say half hour speaking and 2 hour internet daily... battery could be better i guess... z3 and x compact are better here i guess but CPU is much more powerfull in z5 than in any other small phone.... its good to have a powerbank on longer trips
Review of device after using it for 1 week -
Model - E5803 (US Version, Unlocked, Yellow)
Price - $379 (B&H Photo Video, No Tax :) )
Background - I was using Moto X Pure Edition since Dec 2015. I wanted to move to a smaller/compact phone because I was tired of carrying around the Moto X Pure with it's huge 5.7 inch display. Plus its battery had started showing age, I had to charge it twice a day and sometimes even more just to keep it going on (I am an average user. I do not play games on mobile)
- Excellent feel in hand. It is very well built and the frosted glass back in yellow color looks very classy.
- Display is very good, with bright and vivid colors. My only complain here is that blacks/black level is not as good as I had hoped. If this phone had an AMOLED display it would be perfect but I am fine with it as there is no light bleed in display edges and blacks are not as bad as other LCD displays. My Moto X Pure had terrible black color reproduction and heavy light bleeding from edge of display.
- Camera is good if you have ample sunlight / light in room. It does suffer in low light. There is no way to sugercoat it. I mean it may be better than other phones out there in lowlight performance but my wife's S7 Edge shreds Z5 Compact to million pieces when it comes to Low Light performance. And yes I have tried with all possible settings in the manual mode and not just the Superior Auto mode that comes activated by default.
- Same feedback for the selfie cam. It is very good when the conditions are optimal. Other times it is just meh.
- Everything is fast and snappy. Apps load quickly and browser performance and page load times are better than my Moto X pure even though Z5 Compact has lesser RAM.
- Battery life is amazing. It lasts me one full day. 100% at 8 AM and I am left with 25-30% at 9 PM consistently. This was my main objective of buying the phone, a good battery life and it delivers! My usage includes browsing Facebook, Instagram, 9GAG, surfing the web and listening to music. I rarely watch videos during the day on my data plan
- One disclaimer though, I keep LTE off throughout the day and my phone catches 3G speeds (H+). I do that because where I work, the ATT network sucks and the phone drains a lot of battery searching for LTE. I switch LTE back on in the evening after work. I love the fact that SONY gives you the option to selectively turn off LTE and save tons of battery life. My Moto X Pure had that feature but it was locked in settings and if LTE was even faintly available, it won't let me switch to 3G or 2G if I wish to.
- When you are in camera app and open up the screen which gives you all the various filters and camera modes, the phone starts getting HOT then. I think it is because it tries to readily load preview of every filter that is on the phone. This is the ONLY time the phone gets HOT in regular use. I have not seen it getting hot in any other condition / any other app/game.
- The camera app is really slow. And it takes almost 2-3 seconds for it to save a photo and get ready to take the next photo. It is just terrible. My Moto X Pure took photos with lightning speed.
- Since this is an older phone (Oct 2015 I guess) and I got it now in Sep 2016, there are a ton of software updates that happen when you first switch on the phone. In all I had like 4-5 major+minor software updates in the first 3 hours of switching on the phone. I know I could have deferred the updates for a later time but I wanted it to be updated to latest 6.0.1 Marshmallow before I started using it. PS: The phone gets HOT during the initial setup and when it tries to download and update all your apps at once.
All in all I am very happy with my purchase because I got it at a discounted price and in my favorite color plus the battery life is amazing which was my first criteria to buy a new phone.