I've had this device for about 6 months. I got it from Wind Mobile. What is my experience with it?
- Call quality: very good. I actually have to ask the other side to make some background sound often because it is so quiet that it feels like there is no one on the other side. That are a ZL to another ZL calls.
- Performance: Everything was 'okay' until I updated to KitKat. The OS started lagging and chrome is taking time to load. Skype is taking several seconds to load too. I wish I did not upgrade the firmware but it is too late. The keyboard now is loading slowly. I can't stand the lag. I turned off the animation from the developer's menu, I cleared the cache with various apps but nothing seems to be working 100%.
- Battery life: Medium use messaging and emails (just checking them) it drains 60% of the battery. Charging it everyday has become a habit, so I am not complaining that much.
- Camera: the camera is nice. It takes great pictures. There are some issues with it tho. For example, if you take a photo, while it looks to be in the correct direction, if you email it from the phone to someone, it appears that the photo is turned left. I know you could rotate photos in windows, but this should not be an issue in a first place coming from an OS that's been so long on the market. Another issue I encountered is that if you copy/paste photos to the Android folder from your backed up photo folder, it will mess up with the phone so that every image you try to assign to a contact is turned left. It is annoying but a firmware reset fixes it.
- Heating: the phone becomes hot at some point. That happens usually when playing games or flash videos online.
- Built: I dropped it at least twice on a carpet and face down on the ground and it's fine for now.
- Coverage: I am with Wind Mobile, so my coverage is limited initially. I can't comment on that.
- WiFi and BT: they seem to be working fine
- OS issues: as I said above in the performance section, it is the OS that makes the phone sluggish and lagging.
I am considering getting a different phone with Windows OS or Blackberry. Unfortunately, Windows OS and Blackberry have their own set of software problems. I am not getting an iPhone as I can't afford 1st. the device itself 2nd. the expensive apps.
I hope this helped to those who consider purchasing this device. I would not recommend it to other ppl.
Try to disable Google play services which you are not using and enjoy your battery life
Does anyone have issue with the Call clarity, I can always hear a hissing background noise.. please let me know if any firmware update is needed, currently its on android 4.4.2
Anonymous, 21 Jul 2014Zl does have issues some with battery and cameraHmmm what battery issues are you having, elaborate...
Anonymous, 17 Jul 2014This is a Sony competitor... posting Nonsense!!!Zl does have issues some with battery and camera
Ys Kee, 18 Jul 2014Oh! Okay! Thanks for helping me! Thank you very much! :D Ps: and also thanks those who didn... moreAfter update. You will experience tiny lag. Because phone still adapting to new software. After update. Try reset your phone to clean your device and the performance will be better
raul17, 18 Jul 2014might be he had to reset his device twiceNo sense, he clearly did Not indicate he reset handset!
What a joke!!!
Ys Kee, 14 Jul 2014How to update to 4.4 in fact? My phone showed me noti. to update by computer. But how? :(first download sony pc companion and update.
Anonymous, 18 Jul 2014How.can you Update to 4.4.2 Twice??! might be he had to reset his device twice
Sonyma, 15 Jul 2014Download Sony PC COMPANION to your computer to updateOh! Okay! Thanks for helping me! Thank you very much! :D
Ps: and also thanks those who didn't really understand my situation and yet just scolding me like hell. Thanks btw.
I bought my ZL an year ago and I upgraded my phone twice to 4.4.2 kitkat. its working perfectly fine until now and I hope it stays till I replace it........
I owned Xperia ZL for about one year, no problem found. Until last week, one day after I update the walkman or album and I think I install a program. So when the phone on idle (ON position) suddenly it was totally off and could not be turned on. I thought, OMG I must go to service center ??? Then after searching at google, I found out Sony mobile manual and it seems Sony newly (probably about on year) products seems has force on/off (emergency button) located closed to the sim or sd card.
Using ball point tips, I pressed and about 2 seconds vibrated and release and the phone turned on again. I was happy with that emergency button.