I have had the Redmi 7 for the last 2 weeks and so far so good. My user review is as follows:
1. Build quality - note that this is a low end device so did not expect high quality build. It is made of plastic, glossy plastic especially if you get the blue version. This is a fingerprint magnet and thankfully Xiaomi include a back cover. I can't say how sturdy it it but it certainly feels hardy at 180g. I miss the metal build of the likes of the Redmi Note 6 Pro which I had previously.
2. Connectivity - This devices has most bases covered here, WIFI, BT, 4G dual, Infra red etc. Of course there is no NFC. The dual nano sim is a breeze to work with and there is a dedicated memory card slot. You need this one especially if you get the 2GB RAM-16GB Internal Memory variant. I cannot complain on this area and i think the device gives a very good deal at this price point.
3. Display - I cannot complain alot here though the screen is an IPS type and it supports HD resolution at 720p not 1080p. If you compare it with 1080p devices then you will see the difference. I have two devices so the difference is clear, however at this price i think it is a great deal. The screen is large enough at 6.26 inches and thanks to the dot drop display you have a huge screen surface area, almost 82%, for your use. The screen is protected by GG 5 and this is reassuring. I have not tried to drop my device and not planning to, but I hope it is that tough. It is really great working from this large display.
4. SOC - this is where things get interesting. My variant has 2GB RAM and 16GB internal storage. Once the system apps take up the space you will need the SD Card. The System on chip here is the SD 632 and i must say it is better than the SD 630 which I used on Nokia 6.1 2018 but it lags behind the midranger SD 636. I ran Geekbench and the scores were: Single core 1260 and multicore 4250. It is not far behind the 636. In real life use the SOC does well but when you throw at it some heavy games that is when you begin to see the stutter and lags. I recommend going for the variant with at least 3gb RAM.
5. Camera and OS - The OS out of the box is Android Pie, I hope Xiaomi will update this to android Q. The back camera is good with a depth sensor for the portrait mode. It has AI and it was able to recognize different scenes and make adjustments well. Can't complain much at this price point. The selfies are also good with portrait mode through software since there is no dedicated depth sensor such as on the Note 6 Pro.
6. Battery - This is the strong point of this device, it has a 4000Mah battery which easily lasts me 2 days depending on my usage. It is charged using micro usb! No Usb C here. The charger included in the box is not QC enabled so cannot comment on how fast it charges.
7. Other points - Note that the device does not have gyro, for some reason Xiaomi decided to do away with it, the redmi 6 had it!
Overall this is a good device at the price segment and it will really offer serious competition at this price point. It has the latest OS and other newer implementations like the Dot drop screen etc. Just make sure you get the variants with more RAM and IS.
Definitely glass is not Corning, think false advertising, got mine 10 days and scratched a lot :-/
Yet, 03 Jul 2019Mi a2 lite or redmi 7? 3/32gbRedmi 7 3/32 gb. SD 625 is not powerful today, so SD 632 is great choice.
Fahad, 27 Jun 2019I'm thinking to buy this phone..Could you please be a little bit more specific?? what is bad w... moreI have been using the redmi 7 3/32 Gb variant for 2 weeks now... With a few tweaks here and there (g-cam/pubg gfx tool) you can have yourself a great device for a low price. Am in love with it..
Why this phone not support gyroscope for pubg mobile???anybody else how about you guys?
Anyone owns this phone here? I have QC3.0 charger, does this phone utilize Qualcomm quick charge?
Why haven't review yet? Whats browsing and video playback time?
Whats Basemark score?
Tas, 05 Jun 2019Did you try using GCAM to see if it'll improve the picture quality in Low Lights? how to install gcam?
, 27 Jun 2019my experience was bad with redmi 7I'm thinking to buy this phone..Could you please be a little bit more specific?? what is bad with this phone?
Anonymous, 25 Jun 2019Will redmi 7 work on T-Mobile network?There's a chance since this is a GSM tech phone.