Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III - user opinions and reviews

Samsung

@ Anthony

You are suddenly treating everyone else with complete contempt and are behaving like you are God.

Back off a bit!

• 2012-11-06 17:46
  • 3G54

> In reply to Samnicky @ 2012-11-06 16:44 from u44R - click to readCanít give a straight cut answer to that.
I have a 16gb ROM model and 11.25gb of that is user available with a jellybean ROMs.
That space to be sheared withÖ

Apps
Pictures, Videos
Audio (music ringtones, podcast.)
Miscellaneous files.

And of cause you should leave 10% free for smooth data access
So I only really have 10.12gb for the above mentioned.
Not to mention music, pictures, personal files like that could be kept on the SD card up to 64gb in size.

• 2012-11-06 17:34
  • LxG4

> In reply to carol's revenge @ 2012-11-06 16:50 from L7eM - click to readYou are nothing but a desperate N8 fan, hahaha!

• 2012-11-06 17:31
  • FBvW

> In reply to carol's revenge @ 2012-11-06 16:50 from L7eM - click to readFirst this firstÖ. Iím not ďyou peopleĒ I donít follow anyone Iím not a lamb or sheep.
If you replying to me or my post, Iím Anthony (not to be lumped with you people).

I was not on your case before because I could never go days without out touching it to know if that was true or not.
I bought the phone to use and thatís what I do with it.
Am a heavy user and happy to get 12h out of the battery the way I use it knowing the size of the battery. That is why I have a car charger and a USB cable at home and in the office. There are phones in the class of the SIII with better battery use but the SIII is very high on the list. Not at the bottom as you would like people to belive.
You donít like the SIII and you find some of the features to be gimmicks and I would have to agree with you that some are gimmicks. But gimmicks sell, just look at iphone.
What I donít like is when you mention a next phone that you are making the claim is doing better, Knowing the parameters are way different (not even in the same class) in the intent to mislead other that my not know better. That is were I felt I had to step in.

State you facts or say ďthis is my opinionĒ with out the misleading comments or I too will have to take you as just a joke.

• 2012-11-06 17:29
  • LxG4

> In reply to Anthony @ 2012-11-06 15:39 from LxG4 - click to readI wasn't comparing. You people are attacking me being proud of your phones battery, telling me that i lie when i say that this phone does not last more then 3 days without touching it and more then a day with a average usage. And you came along telling me that you are proud of your 12 hours with average usage, contradicting me:))). This is just hilarious. Apparently i gave to much to this gadget here, 24 hours. But you people are on my had telling that i lie, and that this phone has the best battery. Comparing to what? A laptop?. This is more then stupid.

• 2012-11-06 16:50

Can any body tell me
how much memory for install application ?

• 2012-11-06 16:44
  • u44R

> In reply to carol @ 2012-11-06 13:23 from L7eM - click to readHahaha! Stupid comparison!

• 2012-11-06 16:19
  • FBvW

> In reply to carol @ 2012-11-06 13:23 from L7eM - click to readDonít compeer SIII with N8
And Iím talking just from a average user point of view.
For the average user the most battery power used on a smart phone is used by the screen.
The N8 screen is more than a inch smaller in the diagonal not to mention it has a lot less pixels to light at 360x640 what kind of comparison you making there? You mite as well compeer it to a nokia 6310i that could last the user days if not a week.
I donít expect everyone to like a SIII but that comparison was just stupid.

• 2012-11-06 15:39
  • LxG4

After 4.1.1 update... i can just say that i love this phone, it works brilliant and the battery... lasted 115 hours with 1h45 of calls, 2h35m display on, 2h30m wifi on, Copilot gps 2h30m of CPU usage. With normal usage it will last 4days+. Great job samsung ! we waited more for the update... but it worth every minute.

• 2012-11-06 15:33
  • mYY5

> In reply to Amit @ 2012-11-06 10:23 from tRmP - click to readOk as a newbe Iíll try to break it down to you the best I can.
And this applies to all phones that use a ROM chip not just Android.

Some history
A ROM is a Read Only Memory chip. The manufacture imprints the data on it and it cannot be rewritten by the user. Think of it as and original music CD.
The data/software imprinted on it is known as ROMs or ROM_image.
These chips have be advanced from the old days, so they now can be rewritten by the user, a process known as flashing your ROM. (Think of the new bread ROM chips as a CD-RW)
On you ROM chip you can flash original ROMs or cooked ROMs
Cooked ROMs are ROMs made by programmers for your device that are not approved by the manufacture but a base on the manufacture ROMs with some modifications.

What is Partitioning?
As Large new ROM chips that are capable of being re-written by the user, there must be some way to protect it form the average Joe that would go in and mess thinks up to a point where the device can no longer function. So partitions in the ROM are created to separate 1.(ROMs) 2.(system cache) 3.(system installed OS and apps) 4.(user storage).
That is 4 petitions of which the user can see and mess with only the last 2 (3. and 4.) (Note: phones can have more then 4 partitions on there ROM)

When you flash your ROM, may it be Odin, kies, OTA or any other flashing program. you rewrite the ROMs partition. It then formats partition 3 and 4 and then proceeds to reinstall the data from the ROMs back to portions 3. but a copy of system critical information is also duplicated to partition 2 as a safety net if there is critical data corruption. Partition 2 is not formatted in a system flash because if the flash false you will need it to recover your phone. And OS upgrade also retrieve your old files from this partitions so you donít have to set every thing back up.

When you do a hard reset you only rewrite partition 3 and 4 using information kept on partition 1 but some time info from partition 2 also returns to partition 3

You can also do (what I would call a TRUE hard reset) which is to format partition 2 so there is no old duplicate files. Then hard reset right after so partition 3 & 4 are rewritten with information only from partition 1 because partition 2 is empty.

Now to answer your question.

Will a hard reset or TRUE hard reset return my phone to ICS?
The answer is NO!

When you did the OTA update, partition 1 was flashed with Jellybean.
As hard resets of any kind do not tamper with partition 1, it will always restore what is on partitions 1. and for you that is jellybean.
To go back to ICS4.0.4 you would have to flash that onto partition 1.
The ghosting problems some people are noticing is being caused by the fact that partition 2 was not cleaned in the ROM flash for safety reasons and some old drives and files from a cache made from ICS is conflicting with the new drivers and files from jellybean.

To guaranty this conflict does not happen is why I always clear the cache partition and hard reset my phone after I do a change of ROMs in a ROM flash.

This applies to all phones with a ROM chip not just this one or Android.
Finding a way to clear the cache after and doing a hard reset may not be needed but it is always best.

hope that was simple enough to grasp?

• 2012-11-06 15:14
  • LxG4

Samsung-Nokia hybrid should be the perfect phone that retains the best of both and rejects the rest.

• 2012-11-06 14:37
  • XuFm

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-11-06 13:14 from NyjD - click to readyes, for you i'm a liar cause i've gave to much battery to Samsung. the guy before you has more then 12 hours with average usage, when i gave it more then 24 hours tops. Yes i lied about that! In fact, it is more then 12 hours:)))

• 2012-11-06 13:30
  • L7eM

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-11-06 13:08 from NyjD - click to readmore then 12 hours?:))). my n8 lasts more the 2 days with average use... And i talk 4 hours per day. Mumbojumbo

• 2012-11-06 13:23
  • L7eM

> In reply to Carol's revenge. @ 2012-11-06 12:53 from L7eM - click to readThat is not the point, I am showing you that your statements are misleading because it is not only one person saying that S3 battery is satisfactory.
You are such a big liar!

• 2012-11-06 13:14
  • NyjD

> In reply to Carol's revenge. @ 2012-11-06 12:53 from L7eM - click to readMy S3 battery last more than 12 hours with moderate use. That is why I believe all those mumbojumbo sites. LOL!

• 2012-11-06 13:08
  • NyjD

> In reply to Anonymous @ 2012-11-06 10:35 from NyjE - click to readSo, after all this mambojumbo sites. Can you tell me your experience with samsung s3? Or you don't have one and you like to read sites that convinced you that s3 battery is such a good battery.

• 2012-11-06 12:53
  • L7eM

> In reply to Amit @ 2012-11-06 10:23 from tRmP - click to read I live in Oz too , how come my S3 got updated to JB OTA a few week ago and you're not?

• 2012-11-06 12:13
  • v}7V

I am using the galaxy s3 since 2 months now its a great phone with massive specs and I charge it once a day which is good but the problem is when im using it heavily and playing games such as FIFA and Need For Speed im experiencing lags which is weird for a quadcore phone also sometimes temple run and fruit ninja but most of the times only the high resolution games lag and i was the external SD card once wasn't able to be read it still told me error but other than that its a great phone and great to watch videos

• 2012-11-06 11:58
  • pFji

> In reply to Carol @ 2012-11-06 09:46 from L7eM - click to readPhones With the Best Battery Life
S3 included.

• 2012-11-06 11:41
  • NyjD
Total of 23139 user reviews and opinions for Samsung I9300 Galaxy S III.