Sony had already announced that the Android 4.4 KitKat update for Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z was under development and the new firmware would be available in May or June. Now, we have a confirmation that the update is scheduled to roll out for the above mentioned devices, starting in May, which is the better case scenario.
The updated product page of Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z reveal that the upcoming update will start rolling in a month's time. However, there is no timeline provided, but we expect the new firmware to reach consumers by the end of May.
Here's the official change log of the upcoming Android KitKat update:
- Google’s Android 4.4; KitKat as standard – bringing performance & UI optimisation…
We’ve added our tweaked Status Bar and Quick Settings… now more intuitive and customisable (and pretty easy on the eye)… cleaned up to ensure you only get the notifications you really need
- If you’ve got a Sony PlayStation 4, you might recognize our new user interface – we’ve added the same sleek launch animation and livewallpaper across the lock and home screens
- We’re also uplifting Sony’s entire native app portfolio to the latest versions – bringing tweaked / improved / current experiences for (to name but a few): Messaging, MyXperia, Smart Connect, Small apps, TrackID, TrackID TV, Sony Select, Smart Social Camera and…
- Sony’s Media apps: WALKMAN, Album and Movies, with Sony Entertainment Network cloud service integration – a more converged and full Sony entertainment experience – Sony Entertainment Network & PlayMemories integration with a more intuitive UI, better download speeds, and more!
- Our unique custom interface experience: “Xperia Themes”, with downloadable UI packs from Sony Select – skin up to 280 assets across your Xperia smartphone with a variety of styles, and more to follow soon…
As always, we will update you when the official roll out begins next month.