BlackBerry 8830 World Edition - user opinions and reviews

6.1
5.6
6.2

@wonder

the reason that this is world edition is because it is a north america bound phone, and the CDMA bands are the equivalent of GSM 850/1900. It is called world edition because CDMA does not work all over the world, but because this phone has both technologies, it is a world edition CDMA phone (only CDMA carries will sell this phone)

• 2007-12-17 19:11
  • kxxS

Why this phone called "World Phone"? Is this particular phone is at least a TRI-BAND, or QUAD-BAND capability?

If this is only Daul band, no matter how loaded it is, it will not workout in other country but only where you buy your service.

• 2007-12-13 11:42
  • 4M$B

My dear friends,

This blackberry some times it creates an great excitment and some time its creates a great exhaust of using it.my mobile always gets hooked up if i get to many messages.at that time even to answer a call its becomes very difficult.i dont understand the problem.any have its good to have such cute piece in hands always.

• 2007-12-01 12:57
  • Pxn7

The 8830 is the World Edition because of its ability to use both the CDMA network as well as GSM. The CDMA providers realized they were losing out on a big overseas market so they begger RIM to produce this. I find it VERY funny that even some, US CELLULAR, that sell this item don't even know its capabilities.

• 2007-11-26 17:29
  • b6Ei

I find that the unit tends to hang and loses service a lot. The issues are:

- if you have too many messages the phone tends to hang

- lose signal on the CDMA network and then end up with a landslide of messages

- try to make a call and fails on the first attempt, on the second attempt works perfectly

- battery life is a little shabby on the unit

it is by far one of the best looking blackberries though, definately business oriented.

• 2007-11-21 23:32
  • q{mk

Why is it considered an World Edition among other 8000 series. What sets an edge over the others?

Wld appreciate an answer.

thanks & regards

• 2007-11-16 06:21
  • S1bx

I have some basic questions. My needs are: 1) making/receiving calls when traveling globally on business (usually EU) 2) making/receiving Outlook emails globally (usually EU) which are derived from a secure company Intranet. Is this the best BB model for the $ to do this? Is there something as good but cheaper? Thanks

• 2007-11-09 16:58
  • Y6pg

Well I dunno duude, like this phone is cool but like it might be too expensive and I'll be down a few hundred dollars and then I won't be able to buy drinks and go to the movies, so like, I dunno duude.

• 2007-11-04 01:01
  • j5ct

Yes, it has both CDMA and GSM, but for GSM it only has the 900/1800 bands, so doesn't work in the US, only in Europe/Asia (excluding Japan/South Korea).

I tested one and on the Network Selection there's a "Global" option which "should" automatically switch when it detects a signal, etc. but I found it's more reliable to just set it to GSM when I was abroad.

• 2007-10-14 15:37
  • RGF5

Is it both GSM and CDMA on at the same time? Any information?

Thanks

• 2007-09-24 09:35
  • PAqS

hi.yet2own one-

• 2007-09-21 12:35
  • PEF{

hi, i would like to know if this phone works on MAC? thanks...

• 2007-09-09 22:10
  • kxZJ

I have best softwares for this set I wish I could upload those on this site.

• 2007-09-06 19:53
  • PAm6

Do You need to pay extra for the gps

• 2007-09-05 00:35
  • 4asY

I just want to say that I LOVE my BB-8830! I've had a chance to use the palm and sidekick and treo and the BB is the best by far! My only question is where do you get ringtones! I'm dork and I love to change the ringtones on my phone, and this is the only phone that I've had trouble w/ ringtones. HELP please! THANKS!

• 2007-08-23 01:43
  • 4F3K

will it work on reliance cdma(india)?

• 2007-08-01 18:02
  • vGCi

Fantastic,it really works,gps you rock,Greg.South Paulo

• 2007-07-28 12:18
  • NaD}

it's called "world edition" because its both a cdma phone and a dual band gsm... but still, tehre are a lot of places where it doesn't work because it doesn't have enough gsm bands.

if you absolutely MUST use a cdma carrier then get this phone, otherwise, there are better choices. That being said, the 8830 (and the 8800, duh) both feel very solid and are well build, as to be expected from RIM. the browser is pretty fast and the 1x EVDO works just fine (although seing as this is a GSM site im probably gonna get flamed for that).

If you want a purely business phone, this is a good choice, but dont bother going world edition unless you're hell bent on a cdma carrier.

• 2007-07-22 07:32
  • Yca9

I am just shopping for one of these Blackberry devices since I am a very faithful Verizon customer and also use GSM when outside US/ May be this is a better phone than the 8300 Curve , Which atleast has more bands and camera.I do Travel a lot and lots of countries have different GSM bands for mobile usage.Has someone already compared the ASUS 525 (which I currently use) to the Blackberry device If so I would appreciate feedback. No doubt blackberry has its service and other devices Either use GPRS or WiFi Connection.
Sunny

• 2007-07-19 00:28
  • n$Cu

It DOES work in Europe without any problems (it's still a bit expensive to use). Anyway there is no problems with Verizon.

To respond to a previous email from someone "in the industry" from Canada... The phone is NOT a joke! Check with Telus.

• 2007-07-13 03:09
  • 4vuc
Total of 556 user reviews and opinions for BlackBerry 8830 World Edition.