I bought this phone. Used for a week extensively. And then sold it.
1. Counting from opening up any apps to games, the performance is top-notch.
2. Though not the chart topper, the battery-life is very good. 100% charge at morning 8 AM and then using it extensively and syncing through 3 gmail accounts,Facebook, whatsapp, Instagram, twitter, downloading/uploading audio/video contents on them, watching 1 hour of youtube videos, playing games for an hour,making audio & video calls for two hours or so, I was still left out with about 25% battery-life at 11 pm.Additionally , Dash charging is a gift from OnePlus and standby battery consumption is very low.(Samsung-plz learn from OnePlus)
3.Best fingerprint positioning on the back(Samsung should certainly learn from OnePlus again), Face unlock is lightning fast in good lighting condition.
4.Call quality is fantastic. And though equipped with a mono-speaker, it is loud and clear.
1. Using my samsung GS7 edge and OP5T, I clicked many pictures from morning to night side by side, and I have to admit , my 2 year old GS7 edge took much clearer, sharper, detailed pictures in every lighting conditions. OnePlus has to go a long when it comes to competing with chart topper camera smartphones. No arguments here.
2. Even though OP5T's screen resolution is full HD plus, when I compared it with S7 edge's screen(kept in full HD resolution and not QHD), the OP5T's screen looked dull with the same screen brightness at 40% .I switched between different colour modes in the OP5T, but it just couldn't compete.
3. I accepted that ON5T does not have water resistance. But not having dust resistance resulted in accumulating lot of dust particles from the air and keeps the phone somewhat dirty. Having been using Ingress protected phones for the past few years, I immediately noticed this drawback with the OP5T. I want flagship phones to be clean.
4. Face unlock is useless in below average lighting conditions. For example, when I kept lights off in my room but had lights from the CFLs of the adjacent corridor and room, it simply didn't work even after the latest software update. Its a nice feature to have that works flawlessly in good light but then it is irritating in low light.
....Best bang for the buck, but it is certainly not a flagship killer.
Pros+Cons = Sad.
This industry is so lame and boring nowadays. No real progress in camera or battery or anything. Always more and more expensive electronic waste. I think they stopped modular phones only because of their profits...
Why you should replace your "old" OP5 with this one? I will also keep my "old" Pixel cause the new one has no real advantage. It´s only even more expensive with outrageous prices in Europe. And for that they cancelled 3.5mm jack and even some high quality headphones for USB-C. No, thanks!
Santana, 21 Nov 2017Beats all the popular phones but is behind Sony's xz premium in terms of speed and fluidity. Lmao!! You are delusional.
I wonder how much is the support hardware wise given that this a company that is almost unknown. The specs are good though.
Hye, Should i buy OP5 or OP5T? My budget was $500. Any other suggestion? Tell me model and brand. Thank you :)
Should i take OP5 or OP5T? Or other brands? State me the model. My budget around $500
Anonymous, 22 Nov 2017Why buy this when you can get the 128gb Essential phone for 100$ less. Essential is a bit crap. Completly useless and locked to us marker mainly.
Zank, 22 Nov 2017Yeah, no. I don't get this review; the phone has so few actual strengths, how does it warr... moreI have to agree. And also S8/S8+ can be found in reasonable price at online auctions. S8+ is much better than OP5t in my opinion. I was fan of OP untill 3T when they fooled all people by adding T and increase price.
I don't get this review; the phone has so few actual strengths, how does it warrant being purchased over much more easily available alternatives - likely less expensive ones at that?
Weaker aftermarket support, no Water/Dust resistance, no MicroSD (criminal) and completely pointless 6GB of RAM...
HTC U11, LG G6 and Nokia 8 are all better and strictly more reasonable alternatives... If you can stretch your budget than the Samsung Galaxy S8/Note 8 are fair game too.
Just like the Google phones, utterly overpriced while being completely unremarkable, these OnePlus models are simply not a practical purchase.
Oneplus advertised that 2x zoom is useful for students to zoom into whiteboards and lectures. But now, it itself removed it. That 2x zoom is really useful for students like us.
Why buy this when you can get the 128gb Essential phone for 100$ less.
pramod5774, 21 Nov 2017No, they actually do provide software updates needed by community members. That is one of the ... moreIn OP5,
OxygenOS 4.5.8 was rolled out to OP5 to vastly improve the EIS for 4K video recording and to reduce the shudders and shakes when filming at Ultra HD resolution. It did improve overall cam performance but the end results were nowhere near top performing flagship phones.
In OxugenOS 4.5.10, update was provided to reduce noise in 60 fps videos and also improved textures in camera stability. End result was not satisfactory as even after consecutive updates as overall cam performance was far lagging behind other top tier flagships.
In OxygenOS 4.5.11, update was provided to fix several bugs and it brought performance improvements to the handset. - No cam performance update here.
In OxygenOS 4.5.12, it fixed bugs related to missing icon of Download app in 4.5.11, gave option to customisation of notification ringtone and improved launching speed of apps. It also improved optimised adaptive brightness, fixed issue of YouTube video lagging behind audio, and display issues of some UI elements. - NO cam performance update here.
And now we have OP5T with a mediocre rear camera setup that fails to deliver even close to the same old other flagships.
@Obivan has said what i wanted to say about camera in last paragraph.
No , i am not against OnePlus 5T or OP , the phone is just excellent in day to day work , cost cutting to not incIP68 , no expandable storage is also adjustable , but the camera is not , & should have been an upgrade , not sensor wise , maybe using IMX 398 (16Mp) as 2nd sensor , making it telephoto 2x , and OIS would have been great , atleast take it closer to pixel 2 , note 8 if not same caliber , Ok , even if IMX358K ( Is it right ) - 20Mp sensor is used it should have been at least like OP5 arrangement ( All these doubts were raised in GSMArena review also ) , or worst if low light was required a Monochrome + RGB alongwith 4 pixel stuff like 5t would achieve more , apart from being fun to use. Right now the OP5t has better low light then OP5 , other than portrait & bokeh nothing else to show for special dual cam. In all other aspect phone is just excellent, ofcourse the camera is excellent then most other ( Not all ) mid range phones , the only competition being from Moto G5s if at all. But most of them are also priced lesser then 5t including Moto X4 dual setup.
New phone from one plus 5t
Hope it will have new spying feature and advanced tracking feature of the buyer
As seen in previous phone
As a matter of fact if they increase their price it will bomb this time
Mark, 21 Nov 2017As if it were very important to open an application one second faster or one second slower whe... moreLOL you just spent as much time writing that than anyone does bench marking.
OnePlus OP BRO
I feel like you should have offered the Nokia 8 as an alternative. If you're going to go with one phone that is the same price (OnePlus 5) and 3 phones that are more expensive, why not a phone that is a bit cheaper and performs quite well relative to both OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T.
I had all the flagship phones and I never trust any reviewrs.
How come mate 10 and 10 pro rated to have hood cameras when they record videos in H265 at tiny 20 bits per second.
Galaxy caneras are crap. Yellowish tint that make protraits ugly.
V30 low light are bad and good light washed out.
Not sure these professional reviwers if they really know enough to review phones.
Santana, 21 Nov 2017Beats all the popular phones but is behind Sony's xz premium in terms of speed and fluidity. sou but true